1840s-1860s "Civilian" slings?

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Stantheman86, Jun 23, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 23, 2019 #1

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Are there any pics or documentation of mid 19th Century slings for civilian or sporting rifles and fowling pieces?

I would imagine people back then would have wanted to sling weapons for a long day in the field.

My "living history" impression is a Pennsylvania farmer and Mexican War veteran who grabbed his 1816 Springfield that I brought home from the war and joined a local "Home Guard" in 1861. I had thought that a civilian sling on the musket might help illustrate its use as a shotgun or "farm gun" before it was once again used as a service weapon, assuming the original military sling was damaged, given away , lost etc and I just put something on it to carry it around . It would add "color" to my commentary to people attending an event , the more "thrown together" I look the better.

2. Jun 23, 2019 #2

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

AL0200.jpg
    Possibly this from Dixie Gun Works?

3. Jun 23, 2019 #3

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Actually, most civilian guns did not have slings in that time period and especially not on shot guns, though there are some examples used in Africa by Big Game hunters.

Your musket would have been issued with a military leather sling and if you took it home with you, the sling went with you. Now, you might have taken it off when hunting and especially hunting quail, ducks, etc. You would have known how to maintain your sling and it would have been plenty serviceable by the UnCivil War, unless you failed to maintain it.

A military style sling, or something like it, was made to be removed from a musket when desired or necessary. If you lost the original issue sling, you most likely would have made something like it, even if it was a woven sling.

The sling you showed from Dixie, though, is really nothing like what was used in the period, if that matters to you for living history.

Gus

4. Jun 23, 2019 #4

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I imagine a homegrown leather sling with single/double iron or brass hook and holes and sewn loop ends would be great, don't forget to add a carved eagle, federal shield, stars, etc to the leather for a homegrown patriotic look!

5. Jun 23, 2019 #5

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

The Conway buckle is wrong and the rivet probably is too. It's extremely rare to encounter an original gun of any form except military with sling swivels or evidence of them.

"It would add "color" to my commentary to people attending an event , the more "thrown together" I look the better."

This can easily be overdone and end up looking like a Hollywood production. Far better to stick to things that can be doccumented.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Stantheman86 likes this.
  6. Jun 24, 2019 #6

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

20190624_023040.jpg Maybe I'll just use the buckle-less natural leather "War of 1812" repro sling I have, it fits the time period.

Once I darken it up with Leather New and some Blackpowder soot at the range it will look good I think.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Treestalker likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2019 #7

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

A much better choice than the other sling. You could simply lace it to the trigger guard and stock/barrel.

8. Jun 24, 2019 #8

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Just mentioned this on another thread but Miller shows a mountain man with a sling and Kurz shows a man with a sling on in 1850s. Not common for sure but not unheard of.

9. Jul 2, 2019 #9

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

How about a piece of plow line tied fore & aft.

10. Jul 5, 2019 #10

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I guess this painting by Karl Bodmer also belongs here. Hope I am not using up too much server space.

A painting of the naturalist Charles Alexandre Lesueur who was living in New Harmony Indiana when Prince Maximilian was on tour of America in 1832.
    IMG_0466.JPG

11. Jul 5, 2019 #11

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The Zouave I just acquired has a military style leather sling that looks good and carries well. With the barrel opened up to smoothbore, it will look the same and be handsome as a coffee grinder and useful as an all around game gun.

12. Jul 7, 2019 #12

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

With respect to the question of slings, the July 2019 issue of "Muzzleblasts" has an article by Fred Stutzenberger on "Your Rifle's Most Useful Accessory", the sling. Swivels appear on the rifles used by German jaegers and military muskets. Worthwhile to read the article, but doesn't seem to answer the question of slings entirely. He covers the use of slings in general on the European continent for the jaegers' rifles and on shotguns. Then he gives examples of how to install the slings.