Quantcast

1832 black hawk war weapons

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

nagant

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone know of documented rifles/muskets used? Just local interest for me. Army & militia issue but mostly civilian guns used. Only description i found was a scout who had a small Ruggels rifle, likely a long barreled underhammer handgun (hardly typical).

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
There isn't a lot of documented info on the actual weapons carried in that 1832 campaign. The regular infantry units involved would have been carrying one version of another of the M.1816 musket then being issued to U.S. infantry regiments. All the militia of Illinois and elsewhere would have been armed as they were clothed...'motley', a term that appears several times. Charles McBarron painted a scene of Illinois militia at that time and they appear mostly in buckskin trousers, top hats and rifle shirts.

http://www.geocities.ws/gene9156/BHW_picture.jpg

Elijah Herring of Lincoln's own militia company left about the only account of firearms I've seen. Nearly all sources say flint locks with very few percussion rifles...Herring agrees.

"They were constructed like the old-fashioned rifle, only in place of a nipple for a cap they had a pan in which was fixed an oil flint which the hammer struck when it came down, instead of the modern cap. The pan was filled with powder grains, enough to catch the spark and communicate it to the load in the gun. These guns were alright, and rarely misfired on a dry, clear day; but unless they were covered well, the dews of evening would dampen the powder and very often we were compelled to withdraw the charge and load them over again. We had a gunsmith with us, whose business it was to look after the guns for the whole regiment, and when a gun was found to be damp, it was his duty to get his tools and 'draw' the load. At that time the Cramer lock and triggers had just been put on the market, and my rifle was equipped with these improvements, a fact of which I was very proud. Instead of one trigger, my rifle had two, one set behind the other-the hind one to cock the gun, the front one to shoot it. The man Cramer sold his lock and triggers in St. Louis, and I was one of the first to use them."

Of course, Herring wrote this some years after the event when percussion was the common mode of ignition for rifles. To date, I know of only one photo of relics from the Blackhawk War. It's hard to tell, but the flintlock appears to be a cut down M.1816 musket...who used it is anyone's guess!
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/13637/13637-h/images/126.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nagant

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ya not much out there. The Dodge sketch shows a halfstock keyed rifle with a lot of drop but 2 years later. (The George Catlin sketch of Colonel Henry Dodge, commander of the United States Regiment of Dragoons, circa 1834).