• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1830's Shooting bag & accoutrements...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaBonte

Passed On
Reaction score
I got me a Tom Stroh flintlock smoothbore ready to shoot and a flint Rocky Mtn rifle I'm building on, so after 36 years of packing the shooting bag and horn I made back in 1973, I figured it was time to retire the old ones and build me a new set.........
The bag design, size, and decoration are based on the shot bags (one of the actual names used for such bags in the literature of the times - they were NOT called possibles bags - that was/is a different item all together!) seen in the artwork of Alfred J. Miller who went to the 1837 Mtn Man Rendezvous.
The bag is 7 1/2" x 9 1/2" approximate........the body and strap are made from heavy brain tan that was not overly softened....the beadwork is typical Northern Plains style of the period - color choice and size was based on what was available per the trade lists and other documentation of the 1830's era.......bag is 7 1/2" x 91/2" approximate
chucks-pouch-1.jpg

The horn is an original dated 1791 and later 1825 - I added the rawhide repairs to make it usable and added the beaded strap - it's on a separate strap, but buttons to the bag strap when I want to limit swing....
chucks-pouch-2.jpg

The back of the bag - the thong and buffalo bone toggle slip under the waist belt and keep the bag from swinging freely, yet allows the bag and horn to be easily removed without having to remove the belt - what documentation there is for the 1830 era has bags at waist height and not the real high under the arm carry - besides due to a shoulder injury the high carry just doesn't work for me..........You can also see the gusseted bottom which allows a bit more room for my big hands
chucks-pouch-4.jpg

Inside - lined with bed/pillow ticking, also documented to time and place - it has a small inner pouch made from leather to hold greased patches (most likely use), balls, or whatever....
chucks-pouch-3.jpg

Some new and old accoutrements to go along with the new bag...
chucks-accoutrements-1.jpg

Top row below the main horn - from left to right:
Cap horn for when I carry my caplock rifle, shotgun, or C & B revolvers - made it in 1973.....originally a priming horn it turned a real nice mellow yellow naturally (I've primed from my main horn for years).....
Antelope horn powder measure re-enforced with buffalo rawhide - horn is the tip from the first Wyoming goat I ever took back in 1973. It tucks into a small pocket on the back of the front bag strap, but is attached to the horn in case I choose to carry teh horn without the bag or with another one. You can see it tucked into the "pouch" in the second pic from the top.
"Medicine" Bottle aka what one carries his beaver scent in - re willow covered with deer rawhide

Second Row
Original Ely Bros cap box circa 1840 - I carry a couple of spare flints in it!
An original powder/shot measurer circa 1840 - use it for my smoothbore

Bottom Row
Hand Forged turn screw out of a mid-1800's rake tine
"Bag" knife - re-shaped from an original Shear Steel table knife made by Robert F. Mosley, Sheffield (circa 1850-60's? - the basic style is older though ) - the bone handle is reinforced with buffalo rawhide - this will eventually get mounted on the back of the bag with a rawhide sheath......
Hand Forged fire striker from a piece of old wagon spring found along the Oregon Trail near South Pass in 1974....

Anyway hope ya'll enjoy the look see.................

Those are some really beautiful items you have. You have your own small museum in your bag. :thumbsup:

Sure nuff that thar outfit is top knotch don't ya know! :hatsoff:
Excellent, thanks for sharing!
Dusty :wink:

LaBonte- YEA! what they all said! Can I borrow your TIME MACHINE? I need to go back and get me some goodies like yours. :bow:

Steve

Glad ya'll enjoyed the look see......

RickD said:
Hmmm wonder what Chuck did with his old bag
Some other folks asked so I'll take some pics and post them a bit later........

Here ya go Rick -
cb-orig-pouch-1.jpg

cb-orig-pouch-2.jpg

cb-orig-pouch-3.jpg

cb-orig-pouch-4.jpg

These are some pics of the bag I retired. I've carried this rig from SE Alaska to Norhtern Mexico, and from the West Coast to Chadron, NE - like my ole bod it's got lots of mileage.
The horn is buffalo with a deer antler and wood plug - it is courtest of a friend from one of the first buffalo taken in the 1970's with a muzzleloader. The bag body is covered with mink that I trapped - the body design was inspired by the Mariano Modena Bag, which I got to see and measure firsthand in 1974. The beaded flap was based on an original 1850's era Crow Shot Bag. The interior has two compartments. The whole thing is lined with lightweight cow hide. The small beaded piece on the back strap is for holding a cleaning jag and the cap horn (the same one shown above) is attached via a hook on the horn and a D-Ring on the bag. The flap "tie" is human hair - back in the day a long haired buddy of mine and I used to bet hair locks in our shooting contests. The silver kachina I picked up on my first trip through the Southwest in 1965. The toggle on the back is a piece of buffalo bone from the same buffalo as the horn.
While most of it is based on original pieces it is my own style. The bead size, pattern, etc. are based on the historical knowledge base of the early 1970's - we've learned a bit more since then about details. Still it is a pretty good piece, but would be historically more appropriate for the late 1840's and early 1850's rather than the 1820's and 30's.

.....and here is Himself with the bag on (though it can't be seen well) from 1974 - 35 years and 60 pounds lighter (I'm 6' and weighed 180 at the time....)- pic was taken in the Big Horn mtns outside of Buffalo, Wyoming at the 1974 NMLRA western...
goingtothemtns.jpg

Wish I had half your talent..I really like that old bag in fact better than your new bag

Back