• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1795 Springfield converted to percussion and shortened

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flembo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi folks I have a 1795 Springfield musket that my FIL found in the wall of an old farmhouse he was remodeling. It has been converted to percussion and 11" cutoff the barrel the middle band has been removed and the end one moved back. Online research tells me that the percussion conversion was common back in the day and that the confederates often did it during the civil war. Research also tells that many of these guns were shortened and used as shotguns buy farmers and hunters after the war. The stock is stamped USTATES under neath just behind the trigger guard and US on the right side as well as on the lock, the gun is fairly clean although rusty brown but very little pitting. I would like to shoot this gun but with shot not a ball and I would first like to shoot with just a light powder load behind a wad of paper. How do reannacters do it? I do shoot black powder quite often both percussion and flint long rifles as well as 1851 navy 36 cal. so I am not totally new but never a smooth bore. I was thinking first try would be 50 gr fff behind a wad of news paper. then go from there. Full length pictures said to large to upload.

Attachments

• IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 106
Why don't I ever find things like that? That is way too cool. If it is in good shape, I'm not sure why you want to shoot a blank. It certainly won't proof the gun. I'm not sure that a light blank charge like that will tell you anything, nor would a heavy charge. That sounds like a good starting load for a ball, and perhaps fire it remotely. ??

No offense to re-enactors, but I don't think I would follow their lead or example on anything. Some are quite hard on, ignorant, and neglectful towards their firearms. I said "some" so don't anyone get their panties in a knot. :)

Well my dad cleaned out a barn sometime in the 50s and got a mk 3 British Enfield, a Mosin nagant in excellent shape but best of all a longland Brown Bess that was also converted to percussion. When I was growing up the Bess was over the fire place it now resides over my back door. The best part about the Bess is the name engraved on the side plate I googled the name and entered the area that my dad said the barn was in and it turns out the fella was a capt. in the Massachusetts militia during the revolution it tells of some of the skirmishes he was involved in. I shot several deer with the enfield that In since traded for a shotgun and I still have and have shot the Mosin Nagant.

Attachments

• IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 68
Back