• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1781ish?- the whole Kit and Kaboodle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The strap arrangement/attachment made me suspicious about this being an 18th century original, as well as being just too complete and undamaged of a set.

Anyone have any thoughts on that strap attachment hardware? They look like the metal loops that hook to buttons on some bib overalls.

That was my thought at first glance…
I’m curious as too if they unsnap to remove the strap from the bag or swivel?

Last edited:
Have to say that the horn itself seemed a little too pristine in condition to me as well. The very , very fine condition and the intricate scratching details show no indication of any wear. Perhaps the horn was never actually carried and kept as a presentation piece? That’s just my two cents.

I won this at auction before Christmas and it just arrived. I am over the moon. I'll post additional photos if you guys want. I know you appreciate this as much as I do.

On the horn, among other things, is M Birch 81 (MB 81 is on the priming horn), the word "Miami", a large running buck, a couple of Indians, a gentleman, and a whole lot more.

I'm guessing 1781ish, Miami being the Indians.

Truly extraordinary and I am so honored to be its current caretaker and just wanted to share it with you guys.

View attachment 115961

View attachment 115962
it is nice to show 50's, but a dollar bill would do the same thing.?

minimum bid $1000.00. now I now why the 50's, are shown instead of ones.. LOL!

It looks like Gary Birch to me, Gary made some excellent shooting bags and delved in to other items as well including a 18th century styled Jack in the box that was very very cool.
The last I was aware he was doing modern art for the walls of high dollar mansions, probably pays better than making shooting bags.

minimum bid $1000.00. now I now why the 50's, are shown instead of ones.. LOL!
Actually I only had $50's and $100's in my wallet at the time. Could have used change I suppose but I haven't carried that in my pockets in probably 40+ years. Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention.

Nicely made set regardless of date of construction. Have question of 2 5/8" long antler resting on shoulder strap beneath the vent pick. Is this another powder measure or a solid antler tip? If not a hollowed out antler could it be used to knapping a dull flint in the jaw of the cock?

Nicely made set regardless of date of construction. Have question of 2 5/8" long antler resting on shoulder strap beneath the vent pick. Is this another powder measure or a solid antler tip? If not a hollowed out antler could it be used to knapping a dull flint in the jaw of the cock?
That's the vent pick holder. I really like that.

Reactions: smo
Have a set up like that on one of my bags, but used a turkey wing bone, works very nice as a sheath for the vent pick, not flopping around.

This is the part that was missing from the description during the Auction "DMG Note: the 81 indicates the bag was made in 1981 per Gary's normal signing. JR" I believe Morphy Auction and I will be having a phone conversation. Sorry for the false excitement folks.

View attachment 116101
The wording and opening bid certainly gives the impression it's being presented as antique. IMO, they should nullify the sale.

Read the ad, I have a few very nice bags and horns too include all the necessaries, personally made by me somewhere in the last 10 years circa 2019 to present only asking 1000.00 and up, anyone interested. 😂 I do not know what might have been paid but someone got the shaft.

Thanks for posting this. Still happy I got it, the Morphy Auction description on their website did not have any info about Gary Birch or it being 1981. Really appreciate the heads up. Very impressive work, super small intricate detail and the aging is very impressive.
Anyone who knows would be ecstatic to get a Gary Birch bag! you are very fortunate.

Read the ad, I have a few very nice bags and horns too include all the necessaries, personally made by me somewhere in the last 10 years circa 2019 to present only asking 1000.00 and up, anyone interested. 😂 I do not know what might have been paid but someone got the shaft.
Not to hurt your feelings but Gary Birch is the Gold Standard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back