• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1778 USN Flintlock Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrifle NH

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I hope all is well with you and yours. I'm trying to identify the following flintlock that's been in my family for at least since the early 1900s. The ramrod is missing and all the markings have been included. I can't find any information on it. Any help as far as model, maker, value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, expertise and knowledge. Stay safe!

Attachments

• 20200913_213804.jpg
    20200913_213804.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200913_213522.jpg
    20200913_213522.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 20200913_213536.jpg
    20200913_213536.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 203
My references show that the first "official" USN pistol was the model of 1797, which used a British Ketland lock. "KETLAND" appears under the pan & " UNITED STATES" in two lines at the rear of the lockplate. I will look some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your knowledge and expertise. I know this has been in my family as shown since the early 1900s. Other than that I know nothing about it.

It just doesn’t look like any US issued pistol. I don’t know of any US issue pistol with a flared barrel. I think this was someone’s home made put together. But if it sparks, and the barrel is safe, you got a unique shooter!

My references show that the first "official" USN pistol was the model of 1797, which used a British Ketland lock. "KETLAND" appears under the pan & " UNITED STATES" in two lines at the rear of the lockplate. I will look some more tomorrow.

After checking several reference books specializing in naval small arms, I have not found anything to match what you have. As others have mentioned, it appears to be a "parts" gun. If it is a foreign pattern, there would be no reason to mark it "USN".

you can't trust a stamp. any one any time can put them on anything? just saying.

The earliest year shown for a US pistol in "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms" is 1799, referring to the 1799 Flintlock Pistol by North & Cheney.

This pistol was in production from 1799 thru 1802. Its design was based on the French Model 1777. The lock was an integral part of the brass receiver and it has a round tapered barrel, large at the breech tapering to a smaller diameter at the muzzle.

In the "Secondary Military Single Shot Pistols" section of the book there are two pistols that are earlier than 1799.
The "Ezra Dodge Flintlock Pistol" was made in New London, Connecticut from 1780 thru 1790. It was a large holster pistol 12 1/2" long and had a "Thick walled 7" octagon brass barrel; caliber 44. Matching brass lock plate with integral brass flashpan marked in deep sunken hallmark in center "DODGE" with small sunburst design each end."

The other early Secondary pistol shown is the "Hodgson Flintlock Pistol". "Circa 1790's (possibly earlier) to 1800/1802. It has a 9", part octagon, part round brass barrel marked in bold script BALTIMORE CALIBER 60. The cock (hammer) is a goose neck style.
The muzzle end of the barrel has a small, larger, ring shape to it but it is not at all a flared blunderbus shape like the pistol in the OP's post.

Back