• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1777 French Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargent

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok this question is aimed at the students of French Muskets .
The cut out on the left side of the but ,when did this mod actually start to take place ?
I am well awear that the Pedersoli has this feature and that urban myth says that this was done during the 1809-1815 time frame so that younger troops (boys ) could use these muskets .
Is this in fact true ?

That's the first I ever heard that myth. As far as I know it was an integral part of the Model 1777 from its design in 1777. It was certainly well established as part of it by the time of the Year IX (1800) variant or "correction."

1601phill said:
Ok this question is aimed at the students of French Muskets .
The cut out on the left side of the but ,when did this mod actually start to take place ?
I am well awear that the Pedersoli has this feature and that urban myth says that this was done during the 1809-1815 time frame so that younger troops (boys ) could use these muskets .
Is this in fact true ?

just a tought - if that would be the case, wouldn't it mean, that on the existing muskets this cut in the stock must/should differ from maker to maker?

from wikipedia:

Model 1777

The design of the stock was again modified for the Model 1777, with a cheek rest cut into the inboard side of the butt. The Model 1777 also featured a slanted brass flash pan and bridle, and a modified trigger guard with two rear finger ridges.

The Model 1777 is often incorrectly believed to have been used in large numbers by patriot troops during the American Revolutionary War. While the Model 1777 was used in the American Revolutionary War, it was generally only used by French troops who served on American soil, such as those under the command of General Rochambeau. American troops were instead armed with earlier Model 1763 and 1766 muskets.

if the cut in the left side of the stock was done about 20+ years after the revolution, there should be some unaltered 1777 muskets around. are there any?

Ike Godsey said:
if the cut in the left side of the stock was done about 20+ years after the revolution, there should be some unaltered 1777 muskets around. are there any?

It wasn't done 20 years after the Revolution, it was done in 1777, during the American Revolution and prior to the French Revolution.

...because French troops had heavy beards until Napolean took command I heard from a guy who knew a guy who knew.

Think about it folks; what does that cutout allow you to do? It's like the adjustable comb on my trap shotgun - I get to line my right eye straight down the bbl without leaning my head.

yakimaman said:
Think about it folks; what does that cutout allow you to do? It's like the adjustable comb on my trap shotgun - I get to line my right eye straight down the bbl without leaning my head.

I agree, it's a great feature. The question is when did it start. As far as I know 1777 though the OP heard it started 1809-1815 when boys started being conscripted, which to me doesn't hold water. They really didn't start conscripting a lot of 18 and 19 year olds or younger until 1813 (20 years old was the preferred age), after the destruction of the Grande Armee in Russia. From 1809-1812 is considered an era of quasi peace, with the only fighting being in Spain, which was always a sideshow to the main events and they didn't even try to call up the full year's class of conscripts those years.

So if they started cutting the stocks it wouldn't be until 1813 which seems like a lot of work and there would be lots of surviving examples.

yakimaman said:

Hey, you cant do that!

:rotf:

Back