• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1777 Charleville

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw a reference to a repro of a 1777 Charleville musket made in the 1960's, possibly imported by Centennial Arms.

Would this be one of those early, elusive, high-quality Miroku's?

If it's made in Belgium, stay away from it. Italian, Navy Arms Japan(Miroku), India made. Those are my picks! I have a Japanese model and had Flintlock Forge rework the lock, much better

Nit Wit

I had a PT conversation with Smoothshooter..., it sounds more like it's one of the vintage 1970's Belgian back action caplock African trade guns, with the flintlock pan addition, that was made for the Bicentennial. I had both the caplock and flinter versions. The caplock was great as an example of some of the shoddy Belgian imports that the CSA had imported for the ACW. The flinter was junk, sparked poorly, and I sold it as a wall hanger to a decorater for $40....probably still hanging on a wall at a Cracker Barrel somewhere. It's not uncommon for a seller to see the flint cock and the barrel bands and think "Charleville" or to hope the buyer will.

There's one on Guns America (search under LONG FLINTLOCK MUSKET BELGIUM MADE) now that claims it's more than 50 years old....more like 40 (Heck it could be the one I once owned in 1978). The seller started it at more than $500 and is now down to $475. :shocked2: :rotf: If the Belgin proofed barrel is still good, maybe ....$150.

I had the small nipple changed out to a large, musket nipple on the caplock version. Butterfly joined the two piece stock (cut between pieces hidden by second barrel band). The CSA reenactors let me use it because the barrel was proofed... it eventially went to a Boy Scout Camp in Virginia, Goshen Scout Camps. Funny thing..., they guy who is now the Curator for the NRA Museum was the Eagle Scout that bought it from me for the camp.

LD

Back