• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1773 pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20181117_093924.jpg
IMG_20181117_094221.jpg
Was curious as to what an original load for this pistol would be. I've only shot it with a single ball load and up to 50 gr of FF. Of all the black powder guns I've owned it's probably the most fun to shoot and always generates questions at the range. It's a handful for sure as the comparison to my 1st model Dragoon shows.

You didn't give the caliber of your gun in your post and without knowing it, it is difficult to suggest a good load for it.

I can say that the Dixie Gun Works catalog gives some original loads for a couple of pistols somewhat similar to yours.

.67 Tower Flint Pistol = .650 ball/35 grains FFFg powder

.58 US Springfield Pistols Model 1855 = .570-.575 ball/40 grains FFg powder

That's about the best I can do except to say I would use about 1/2 of the bore size as a rough guide. For instance, a 50 caliber would use about 25 grains of powder. A 69 caliber would use about 35 grains of powder. The ball size would be slightly smaller than the bore and cotton cloth patches under/around the ball would be used to bring it up to a snug fit in the bore.

You didn't give the caliber of your gun in your post and without knowing it, it is difficult to suggest a good load for it.

I can say that the Dixie Gun Works catalog gives some original loads for a couple of pistols somewhat similar to yours.

.67 Tower Flint Pistol = .650 ball/35 grains FFFg powder

.58 US Springfield Pistols Model 1855 = .570-.575 ball/40 grains FFg powder

That's about the best I can do except to say I would use about 1/2 of the bore size as a rough guide. For instance, a 50 caliber would use about 25 grains of powder. A 69 caliber would use about 35 grains of powder. The ball size would be slightly smaller than the bore and cotton cloth patches under/around the ball would be used to bring it up to a snug fit in the bore.

The bore measures .709" and the bbl is 8.5" from breech face to muzzle. I was using a .678 rb and 40gr of FFg. Surprised to see DGW recommend FFFg in a .67 bore.

Back