• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED 1766 Charleville Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmitcham

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting into 18th Century Reenactment and I'm in need of a musket to add to the kit. Looking for a used 1766 charleville musket repro with a bayonet (and may be interested in accessories etc....). I reckon a new one will cost me around $800 at Veteran Arms (plus shipping) so we'll say price range tops out around there. Thank you all in advance!

The guns at VA are from India. I personally don't have one yet. At $690, they are significantly less than Pedersolis, which are tough to even find right now. I don't know anyone who would sell their Pedersoli for under a grand right now. I'm going to buy a couple of the VA guns myself because I had no seen the resource until now. They look awesome for the money.

The guns at VA are from India. I personally don't have one yet. At $690, they are significantly less than Pedersolis, which are tough to even find right now. I don't know anyone who would sell their Pedersoli for under a grand right now. I'm going to buy a couple of the VA guns myself because I had no seen the resource until now. They look awesome for the money.
I have a 1743 french musket from VA. I live fire it with 70 grains of 2f and a .67 cal ball and I'm pleased with the results. The lock could probably use a tuning but I haven't had any issues with it.

I've used a Veteran Arms1768 French musket for several years (reenactments) and have been pleased with it.

I have a Navy Arms Charleville Miroku made, Jeff Miller(Flintlock Forge) made the lock much better. Comes with white sling. $650.00 + shipping
Thanks
Nit Wit

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210410_164719.jpg
    thumbnail_20210410_164719.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I just noticed this does not have a bayonet lug, removed for whatever reason, I believe this was a display piece all it's life. I have an original French bayonet that I would sell for $150.00. It looks like varnish on some metal parts.
Thanks
Nit Wit

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210411_085803.jpg
    thumbnail_20210411_085803.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 56
  • thumbnail_20210411_090049.jpg
    thumbnail_20210411_090049.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
If I wasn't about to drop a bunch of money getting into living history I'd jump on that bayonet (figuratively) for sure! Unfortunately I'd need a bayonet lug, I've heard Miroku Charleville are some of the best repros though!

If I wasn't about to drop a bunch of money getting into living history I'd jump on that bayonet (figuratively) for sure! Unfortunately I'd need a bayonet lug, I've heard Miroku Charleville are some of the best repros though!
A bayonet lug is an easy thing to make an solder!
Thanks
NW

Vetrran Arms quoted a 4-6 month back order, so I figured I'd give this thread a last call. Any Charleville Repros gathering dust out there?

Dixie does not seem to have a bayonet for their 1766 Charleville from Pedersoli.

While i have no idea about the quality of Miroku and other Repro Charlevilles, i am currently working my way through refurbing 100 of the "Indian Pattern" repros here in the UK.

If at all possible, and especially if you intend to enjoy "live" firing with it as opposed to just blank charges at a reenactment, then i would strongly urge you to stay away from the indian ones, and if you can get a Pedersoli or similar.

The locks on the indian ones are of terrible quality, i will take some photos tomorrow and post them to show this, rough cuts and tool marks all over the sears and stirrups, and springs that needed retempering, or just plain tempering, straight out the box.

fit and finish is also sadly lacking, so if you have no option but to go for one of these then it would probably be best to factor in the cost of a decent lock from a reputable manufacturer, or a LOT of time tuning the lock. Now i dont know how much your time is worth to you, but for the state of some of the locks i have seen so far if i wasnt being paid handsomely to do the work, i would have been swapping the locks straight out and putting the indian locks into the "background" rubber rifles.

Latest posts

Back