• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1740s spanish Royal Guard pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMadary

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Since not too many Spanish weapons are posted I thought some of you would be interested in this. Also, I am hoping someone may know some history behind the group that used these weapons? This pistol apparently was made in the 1730s or 1740s based on the articles linked to this post. The Spanish language link includes photos, the translated link does not. The article shows a photo of a similar pistol by the same maker from about 1747 made by Rovira (see very last pistol in the article attached). I believe it says these pistols were used by the King's Royal Guard officers. I am trying to learn more about this group's role in the Spanish army, and if they may have seen any action in America? Also whether anyone has seen another similar pistol. The gun is in original flintlock but the barrel was shortened by several inches.
http://www.catalogacionarmas.com/public/casaReal41.pdf
http://translate.googleusercontent...41.pdf&usg=ALkJrhgBPzKzICeKOWCXb-4vUDzZ1dbkTg

Last edited by a moderator:
That one is a real "head scratcher", I'll give you that! It's so French it's not funny. So far it's proved just a little different than every French or Spanish pistol I've been able to locate clear illustrations of. What's so frustrating is that nearly every Spanish pistol of that type I've found has a flat lock and cock, not rounded!!?? :hmm:

Have managed to find out a bit about the Guards...basically there were 4 of them in the Spanish army then, infantry and cavalry and they all wore blue with red trim...talk about confusing. The "Guardias de Corps" were the Life Guards from 1704; the "Guardias Alabarderos" were the guard of Halberdiers Company from 1707 (think we can exclude them, maybe!); the "Guardias de Infanteria Espanola" were the Spanish Guards Infantry Regiment from 1704 and the "Guardias de Infanteria Walonna" who were the Walloon Guards Infantry Regiment, also from 1704. There was also a "Carabineros Reales" or the "Royal Carabiniers from 1720, but not technically called "Guards". The Life Guards were basically a royal body-guard of cavalry with four companies, 1st Spanish; 2nd Italian; 3rd Flemish and 4th American (I assume they meant western hemisphere!?). Since cavalry and infantry senior NCOs carried sidearms of swords and pistols it could be anybody! Are we confused yet? :haha:

Thanks guys for the responses.

Kabar - I have read references to the M1752 pistol, thanks for sharing and those are nice examples you have. Perhaps the French used fancy pistols for their officers, and maybe the Spanish modeled after their lead?

Wes, yes I'm more confused than ever! But this is good info. The info on the "American" company is very interesting, as this gun turned up in the US but of course could have came her much later. If you have a source for your info, especially the american company, that you can share I would be grateful, as I can try some follow-up research.

The info I mentioned is from Osprey's "Men-At-Arms Series #321" and titled "Spanish Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1), 1793-1808". There are three volumes of this series on Spanish army units of that era by Rene Chartrand. He lists a bibliography of 15 sources, only one of which is non-Spanish. If you can find a copy of Volume #321, it will give you a start toward the actual Spanish sources.

Basically, the Life Guards contained the four companies of 225 officers and troopers including a kettle drummer and two trumpeters. This was reduced to three companies of 180 men each in 1803 following the disbandment of the Flemish company. Guards officers ranked as colonels in the line cavalry, NCO's ranked as captains and lieutenants, and troopers as ensigns and gentlemen cadets. Beyond that there's just comments about uniforms with silver lace and silver trimmed bandoleers in company colors; scarlet for the 1st, green for the 2nd, yellow for the 3rd and violet for the 4th. Obviously, the American Company wore blue coats and breeches with scarlet collar, cuffs and lapels with silver buttons and silver lace on the above, silver epaulettes, silver lacing on waist coat, hat and violet bandoleer...talk about understated! :wink: I've not found any record that that company ever served in the Americas however. Since all cavalry troopers carried pistols and swords, there's never going to be a way to tell how that pistol came to the U.S. Good luck on your search.

That is a very neat pistol. Looks pre-1750 to me. If it was not for the markings on the barrel, this could be a Belgium/Dutch made piece done in the French style. Even a Spanish made barrel would not be that unusual. But the script on top of the barrel really adds to the mystery.
Previous to 1750 the Spanish preferred the miquelet style of lock. So the early French style lock on this pistol just adds to the mystery. :hmm:
I'm stumped on this one :idunno:
In any case this is a very interesting pistol. Thanks for sharing. I really like it. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back