• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1728 or 1746 French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what offerings are oit there for 1728 or 1746 french muskets? Just from some surface research it appears that currently there are only indian made guns for those particular guns or waiting for parts from TRS. If that is the case, which seller of the indian made guns is considered the "best"? If there are other companies out there please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Duck

Oh, I forgot to ask, but how do the two rear band on the 1728 stay on? Is it just a friction fit? I noticed it doesnt have the springs like the 1763

I guess that there would be the potential of the bands coming loose at some point after firing if you didnt push them back. Still, newt looking gun. I dig the "cowhoof" stock

The M 1717 and 1728 are both offered by two Indian manufactures through loyalist arms, and military heritage.

the M1717 - 1766 muskets (some 1770 Charleville were found with friction fit bands) all had rear barrel bands that were fitted via friction. The friction fit is considered an integral weakness, however in my opinion, it works fine just as long as the stock has a thicker point of contact with the band.

The M1754 added a middle band spring which is found on some M1728’s and 1746’s As later generation improvements.

Loyalist arms makes a really nice M1728 pattern That is Indian made. members in my group own This musket, with a little defarbring its a very nice pattern. The stock is south asian rosewood, so you’ll need some very sharp tools and the lock will need to be appropriate hardened and the springs

If the band becomes lose because the stock has been damaged or refinished over with too much wood removed, I either added a spring that isn’t visible (hides under the band or you just shim the barrel channel slightly with a hardening wax to add friction.

Adding a rear band spring in my opinion doesn’t retract from the gun’s authenticity too, the French were known for upgrading older arms to current standards, so occasionally you’ll find a M1763/66 with an add hoc rear band spring, while adding this was a rare occurrence, the friction fit bands did work well and there was often no need for a band spring upgrade. Mostly the M1766’s were upgraded in 1768 with a rear band spring.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the informative post. Is it common to need to do some rehardening for guns from loyalist?

Yes, most of the guys in my group have had to have the lock parts case hardened in some type of pack hardening oven.

One issue with Indian made muskets is the steel that they used for the locks and other parts is of an unknown alloy or grade. Typically they understand that the frizzen and springs need to be of high carbon steel. The problem with their carbon steel is you just don’t know what they’re using. India is well known for being the steel recycling capital of the world form old military equipment to shipping freighters.

Back