16th c. powder flask reproduction?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

deGheyn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good source for reproduction triangular or oblong powder flasks. I've found one in Europe, but the shipping will cost more than the flask. This is the type I'm referring to: 16th c. flasks

This is the source I've found: oblong
triangular

deGheyn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:doh: Sorry guys, newbie here, posted in the wrong forum & it won't let me delete.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It ain't cheap, but these folks make good quality stuff. Scroll down to:

Powder Flask / Voyageur Flask (above)
Handmade by Peter Goebel. Historic reproduction.
Copied from an original, our flask dates from the 17th to 18th centuries. Made from non-sparking copper with a friction fit lid attached with a chain. Measures 4" wide by 5 and 1/2 tall. A great alternative to a horn.
Powder Flask / Voyageur Flask: $145.00
http://goosebay-workshops.com/Militaria

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Google up Larry Gotkin Hand Made. He can make you one like this. He gust finished a 17th Century horn for me.

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Richard

Not yet. I just sent payment yesterday. So should receive it by late next week. I'll post it in the Photos section.

Rick

matchlock1607

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It ain't cheap, but these folks make good quality stuff. Scroll down to:

Powder Flask / Voyageur Flask (above)
Handmade by Peter Goebel. Historic reproduction.
Copied from an original, our flask dates from the 17th to 18th centuries. Made from non-sparking copper with a friction fit lid attached with a chain. Measures 4" wide by 5 and 1/2 tall. A great alternative to a horn.
Powder Flask / Voyageur Flask: $145.00
Militaria

Gus
Peter Goebel's work is very high quality. I own several pieces made by him. Even though this is an older thread, I appreciate that the information was posted about this flask he makes. I have contacted him to inquire about one. I have been looking for one of this style for a while now.

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Interesting post & subject I have made the same time period flasks & patrons, if never the triangular sorts . The Viking sword pics are great they look ungainly but clearly they appealed to the time period . Be interesting to see Peter Goebles offerings . I might produce flasks less bother to ship than guns these days I think Peter had or bought a English lock musket of my make made at a village in Mass a good thirty years ago . always curious where my products end up .
Regards Rudyard

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'me unclear but I think Peter Gobels had ' Goose bay works shops' he or Tom Brown its been many years. I sold him stamps he brobably did F & I at Fort Niagara with the' Detachment Chamble ' French marine Artillery group the flask looks OK servicable but since there seemed no set patterns they would all vary & differ .I am no authority mostly I made stag Horn sorts or Horn ones with thin iron caps brazed . So long a it looks like the old ones its bound to' pass Muster' but aught perhaps to look more folksy than perfect all being hand made .Well the dead stags had a hand in them too or since the common deer shed antlers annually they needn't be dead too provide many flask bodies stag carves nicely & if debarked & shone is perfect for engraving using traditional Leda & the Swan ect motives .
.Regards Rudyard

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Can't believe this Thread is three years old already. Where has the time gone ??? Here's a pic of the early style horn Larry made for me. It allows for either a horizontal or a vertical cord/strap carry. I wanted a horn that would look appropriate for early to mid 17th Century, but would also look right with the matchlock/wheellock period. At least in my imagination. LOL A short, stubby type horn.

Rick
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG

matchlock1607

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I inquired about a flask from Peter Goebel (pictured above) as we were discussing flasks in this thread. He told me he was ten weeks behind, but I received an invoice today (ahead of the forecasted wait). I paid the invoice and eagerly await the flask. I am thankful for honest craftsmen like Mr. Goebel.

Latest posts