• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1667 Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading Howard Blackmores wonderful book when I saw this relic for sale and was immediately reminded of the Early Brown Besses in his Plate 11. I was young and foolish in those days so I bought the durned thing. It probably is c1720, shame it about the front end and the missing barrel o_O

I think this is more the period for your musquette, if you go back another 100 years they become truly weird :D

1720.jpg

Shame about the missing barrel & front end .Sure is as that's a nice looking early piece neither barrel nor fore end would faze me . Not that you need to shoot it but just to restore it, but what you have is nice Regards Rudyard

Well I think we all agree it is not 17th century. So what is it? I think it is colonial American. It has what appears to be a 1727 model Potsdam lock with a George I era reinforced cock. The butt plate is certainly Dutch with the screws on the outside like that. The barrel is also likely Dutch with the channel in the tang and likely remains of the rings on the breech. The trigger guard is American or a modified Dutch piece. Ramrod pipe is very similar to the British, also could be Dutch. Sideplate? Stock has a lot of German jaeger rifle influence. Could be early American stock.

Back