• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1660 Spanish Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL. Well, still more Spanish guns. But this project has been in the works for a couple years. So first the back story:

The original single pistol is currently in the Mark Dinely collection in the U.K. Previous providence the W. Keith Neal collection.

While discussing this pistol with a collector friend in California, I mentioned that I had an assembled lock from The Rifle Shoppe (#614) that looked identical to the lock on the original. Both the original pistol and the TRS lock were both mid-17th Century. So one thing led to another, and we both got the hair brain idea to each have a copy made for shooting. Problem was there was no cooperation from the current owner of the original to supply us with photos, dimensions, etc. So all we had for a prospective builder was an auction catalog photo/description and an artist rendition to work with. But, my partner - who is a whole lot smarter than I could ever hope to be - was able to use some mathematics to determine the correct, probable size of the pistol, which turned out successful. Still, not going to be a job for a novice builder. So, I already had one assembled TRS lock and ordered another in kit form as well as starting the search for the wood and barrels. The rest of the hardware would have to be all custom made.

Here is the small amount of information about the original. Note the stock shape is a carry-over from the wheellock period. I'll post a description and photos of the replicas next.

Rick
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
download.jpg

Here is a description and photos. The project turned out well. The pistols look close to the original.

DESCRIPTION: A brace of Mid-17th Century Spanish Horse Pistols.

LOCKS: 1650's Spanish miquelet lock. From The Rifle Shoppe. Kit #614.

BARRELS: Octagon to Round, smooth bore, .62 caliber. From Charles Burton.

STOCKS: European walnut. Made from blanks from Wayne Dunlap. Stock design is a carry-over from from the wheellock period.

MOUNTS: Custom made by the builder with forged trigger guard.

BUILDER: Jeff Miller

Here are some pics. And thanks for looking. Comments most welcome.

Rick
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG

Nicely done! The world needs more Spanish guns. I see you have a spring to catch the barrel band. On my escopetas, I make them a friction fit. Were pistols made with that spring? I am not as familiar with Spanish pistols as I am with their long guns.

Nicely done! The world needs more Spanish guns. I see you have a spring to catch the barrel band. On my escopetas, I make them a friction fit. Were pistols made with that spring? I am not as familiar with Spanish pistols as I am with their long guns.
DOH! I see from the picture you posted of the original my question was already answered.

Thank you all for your responses. Very happy these turned out so well and look so close to the originals. Thanks for looking.

Rick

Hi Deep Creek

My escopetas also use friction type barrel bands. Honestly, I was guessing these pistols would also result in using friction type bands. So I was very surprised when they turned up with retainer type (even adjustable) bands as per the original pistol. If you look at the one photo, those bands and retainers must have taken some real time to make.
These retainer type, three slot style barrel bands show up on all sorts of Spanish sporting type long guns and pistols all the way up to the Mid-19th Century. So it must have been a common characteristic with individual Spanish gun builders during the period. What did surprise me was the use of this type of band so early on.
The only Spanish guns I've seen with pin-fasten barrels seem to be the earliest. Say pre-1640 or so.

Anyway, glad the builder was able to duplicate the original band.

Rick

That's a beautiful replica of a Ripoll style pistol. I've always wondered how they held those pistols in their hand ? I'm guessing the middle finger wrapped around the spur of the trigger guard.

Rick

Latest posts

Back