• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1650 Dutch Jacobian lock musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curator

45 Cal.
Reaction score
DSC00122.jpg
DSC00123.jpg
DSC00125.jpg

Reproducing Dutch/English Jacobian musket from New Amsterdam circa 1650-1670 from Van Rensellaer collection. Lock from TRS about 30+ years ago.Comments?

Hi,
Nice gun. They are pretty neat and reliable locks. Were you able to get the trigger pull adjusted well? The lateral sear can be difficult because the gun can be made unsafe very easily if you grind back the lug too much. Below is a type 1 English lock, which were really converted snaphaunces, that I built a few years ago. It is very reliable and the gun shoots well.

dave

earlyfowlerlock.jpg

I have a long pistol underway using the smaller TRS lock. .57 caliber, tapered octagon to round barrel.

Dave,

I learned to make the trigger with a high axis pin building Spanish miquelet guns, so the trigger was no problem. The only examples I have of this type musket was a brief opportunity as a museum curator to look at and measure two originals. Unfortunately the museum staff would not allow me to photograph them without permission from their Board of directors which never came. The "Jacobian lock" is a good sparker with good ol' English flints. The Colrain barrel is .75 caliber so not of "bastard bore" as were the originals. It is stocked in Black cherry as were the originals, supposedly re-stocked in the New World to make them lighter and more easily carried. The New Amsterdam Dutch are a tight lot about sharing their history. It has taken me the best part of 30 years to get all the parts and the time to complete this gun. Now, to pin the barrel and nail the butt plate on. A couple of ramrod pipes and I'm done!

Back