• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

16 Gauge starting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that I've sent the barrel off to get jug choked, what would you guys suggest as a starting load using say, No. 5 shot? Never had any experience with a 16 ga before. This should be fun.

I load them like a 12 , more or less. 1 1/8 of shot and the same volume measure of powder for shooting flying.. Unless you're going after turkeys, then go at least 1 1/2oz shot and equivalent of powder volume.

Congrats on getting a jug choke. You want good starting load info, so here is what I know. I seemed to get better patterns by using a short shot string - in other words, use the bore diameter as a guide to the depth of shot you load. The short string of lead pellets seemed to disperse less and to arrive 'all-at-once' with good effects.
My old 16 ga measured just about .660" in bore diameter, so I made a scoop of that bore and depth, then Used that for measuring both powder & shot. Keep in mind this is for a starting load, so YMMV. I would stay simple at first and use just thin card wads for both O P and over the shot. Stay away from the cushion wads for now. Later, experiment with the wad components as desired. Try tow, cornmeal, wasp-nest, small wadded paper, etc. and just have fun doing all that.
- best of luck with it!

It would be a big help to know which hull, powder, primer, wad and load (7/8 oz, 1 oz, etc.) you would like to build. Without knowing what you are trying to do makes it difficult to give you a specific answer..

Now that I've sent the barrel off to get jug choked, what would you guys suggest as a starting load using say, No. 5 shot? Never had any experience with a 16 ga before. This should be fun.
Use an 80 grain measure, and 3Fg. Cover the powder with two 1/4" cards, then use the same measure to load the shot. Over the shot load with an olive oil soaked 1/2" fiber wad. (This a a 1 ounce "square load" which 16 gauge is famous for using) :thumb:

Don't forget to post photos of the game you take and one of the game cooked. ;)

LD

I'd highly recommend less powder than shot for a better pattern. I generally find about 10 grains by volume to be right. In other words, for squirrels and pheasant I use a 60 grain measure of powder and a 70 grain measure of shot. For turkeys I use a 75 grain measure of powder and an 85 or 90 grain measure of shot. This os for a 20 gauge but the principle is the same.
Regardless of gauge, you don't need magnum volumes of powder or shot to kill turkeys. You do need a good pattern and the patience and ability to get them in close.

I like to use a paper shot cartridge made by rolling three thickness of newspaper around a dowel , tieing it with kite string, filling with shot folding over and tieing shut. I load pwder, two thin leather wads and then the shot cartridge. I woul;s suggest starting with 1 oz shot 60 grain FF. I prefer #4 shot over #5 for larger birds.

Just acquired a smoothbore in .680 diameter I guess it is more or less a 15 .5 gauge? I would assume the same formulas for the 16 gauge loads would work for mine. Just having a hard time trying to find round ball and/or a mold to make some, also assuming I would need either .660 or .662 size any thoughts on that I would appreciate.

Not many roundball sizes available commercially…
I have tried .648,.642, .626 in my .653 bore.

The .648 & .642 balls were shot without a patch, but became hard too load after firing a few rounds.

The .626 is what I’m using currently, with a .016 patch..

Just acquired a smoothbore in .680 diameter I guess it is more or less a 15 .5 gauge? I would assume the same formulas for the 16 gauge loads would work for mine. Just having a hard time trying to find round ball and/or a mold to make some, also assuming I would need either .660 or .662 size any thoughts on that I would appreciate.

Try this link, go down the page to the 600's and you are set.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Roundball-Molds/products/963/

Latest posts

Back