• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

16 century powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2219.jpg

By buddy made these from scrap wood sandwiched together...the center sections were hollowed out w/ a jig saw. Note the "authentic" recycled brass cartridges as spouts.

Total cost: $0

Good looking flask, is that a push button cutoff? I think Goose Bay Workshops offers a copper one too. Ben

Yep I made it, small primer flask. Was a weekend of playing around. Now need to make the larger powder flask when I have time.

Charlie,

Can you explain how you made the spout? Did you just slide one cartridge over the top of a smaller one? How do you keep the cover from falling off?

I might want to try my hand at building one of these too.

The spout is just a cartridge that has the base cut off, and another slightly larger one serves as a cap. There was a piece of bathtub chain soldered into the primer hole to act as a keeper, but it broke. I will drill the one on there now out and use a piece of string for a keeper.

The smaller one has a dixie gun works spring spout, as it is used for priming the pan.

The bottom of the flask has a threaded fill hole that is capped with a big screw.

i seldom come into this forum, glad i did today...Mr Owen, that is one beautiful flask, thanks for sharing......or .......that's where i dropped my flask, thanks for finding it Mr. Owen...LOL :bow:

Some nice pieces indeed. I love thecomments on the artillery quill primer.

Caution! The primer will become a missile upon actual firing ... keep everything you want to take home with you from the area over the touch hole!

The obvious response to that is they are designed to be carried and to carry powder. Modern flasks aren't much better, and certainly not a horn. Don't sit, lie, or fall on them, and the discomfort shouldn't be a problem. :v

Chris, you want to try something fun. Try lying behind a log and loading a muzzleloader. Even more fun try low crawling 20 yards, then try to load. That will change how you wear your gear. :grin:

Many Klatch

Back