• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

150th Gettysburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bangfxr

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the registration window will be open till mid Feb. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends I've not seen in a couple years. I think the ranks will be thin after this as a lot of folks will be hanging up or selling their gear. I plan to keep going until I cant.

I was in the 125th. It was big and impressive but a logistical nightmare not to mention other kinds of nightmares. Pretty much soured a lot of us on the mega events. The '81 event was a lot smaller, only about 3,000 or so and was a lot more fun although it rained and rained and actually got cold. It was held behind the Round Tops.

logistical night mares hahaha I often wonder just how tuff it really was for either army,tens of thousands of men needing food, shelter, ammo etc etc and supplying all that while on the move, and all before modern communication was ever even thought of. then dealing with sickness, desertion orders, it must have been a true nightmare. I was at Gettysburg when they had Pickets charhge n something like 11 thousand guys came out of the woods n got into formation, that was a spine tingleing and awesome sight, a true once in a lifetime event. WOW

The 125th was very impressive and to be a part was special. There were over 15,000 troops there and 75 pieces of ordnance. One fellow had a full horsedrawn 6 gun battery of Napoleons and seeing them wheel into battery was worth the trip. But, it was a mess. One road, not much more than a rough path, led into the main camping area. Traffic was horrific and there was a shortage of water most of the week. While this pales in comparison to the feeding and movements of real armies back then, you have to remember that all those troops at the event plus their dependents and camp followers were modern people who did this a few weekends a year plus the many thousands of spectators who were underfoot. Much different than veteran soldiers who didn't pack a fourth of the gear that we did and who were used to short rations and little water. And this was a very hot week. Still, it was quite an experience getting to participate in Pickett's Charge with nearly the same amount as men who were in the first one. We also got to be with several of our British and German friends who came over for the big show.

Back