• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

15 gauge loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently restored an old Belgium single barrel percussion shotgun that was hung over a fire place for over 50 years. I am thinking of using this gun for early squirrel season in September. What would be a good load using #5 shot? I have close to 50 pounds of #5 shot so I thought it would be a good size for squirrels in the trees when the leaves are still on.

I have a belgian 14g. I use a 20g square load.
That being 7/8 oz shot and same volume powder which is about 65 grains. It is light, no recoil and works.
I strongly advise you get it checked out before using it and do your own proofing.
You will find totw has a load list.
For proofing it is grnerally accepted to use double powder charge and single shot and single powder double shot. Suggest tying the gun to something and using string from a safe place to pull the trigger.

I dug out my old black powder gun digest, if the gun is declared sound the following loads are recommended for a 16 gauge, which is awfully close.

Light load: 60 gr FFG, 5/8" wad, 1 oz shot
Medium Load: 66 gr FFG, 5/8" WAD, 1 oz shot
Heavy load: 75 gr FFG, 5/8" wad 1 1/8 oz shot

If I was looking for 15 gauge wads, I'd call Mike at Flintlocks LLC.

Thanks all. The gun has be checked out and deemed safe to shoot. I have some 15 gauge fiber wads that I will use. I will try a square load of 65 grains of 2f, a 1/4" over powder fiber wad, 7/8oz of #5 shot with a lubed 1/2" fiber over shot wad. I will check to see how it patterns at 25 yards.

Back