• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

15 ga shooting supplies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have long had a switch barrel side slapper in.54 and I thought 12ga. Measurements indicate 15ga instead. .678 bore no choke. Can someone please direct me where I can get proper size balls or mold; and cards and other items and suggestions. I am new to smooth bore and shot gun in muzzle loaders.

C21A0ACA-17C0-4C93-A6FD-224E842D33CB.jpeg

.642 round ball no patch.

The bore measures .653 on my gun.

The ball at the 7 o’clock position is where the gunshot when holding the front sight on the bullseye… low & left.

The others were shot using Ky windage.
25 yards off a bench rest.

I have found that a .626 ball and a .016 patch shoots well out of this gun also…

Plus we flexed the barrel now where it shoots where I’m looking..

No more Ky windage..😎👍

I got all my shot loading supplies for my 15 gauge at Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies, Inc. I never shot round ball out of this gun so I can't help you there.

I got all my shot loading supplies for my 15 gauge at Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies, Inc. I never shot round ball out of this gun so I can't help you there.
Thanks for the supplies direction.

Many are talking bare ball. Do you have a over powder card or wad? or just the bit of tow. and do you use a card or wad over ball to keep it from rolling out.
Sorry if this is too simplistic, but I am still at the simple stage on the smooth bore usage. Seem like the blow by would be very excessive if not for some type of seal.

I was using a 1/8" over powder wad , a medium thickness leather wad I made, a 1/2" dry fiber wad, ball, and a 1 /2" fiber wad soaked in cooking oil on top. I got complicated but worked very well.

I'd I had any thinner patching other then pillow casing maybe a patch may or worked to.

Thanks again Grimord and Rifleman1776. It's getting closer to maybe getting some smoke from this second barrel. I like the gun and the .54 barrel shoots very good.
The gun isn't marked as such, but it was built by Bauska in northern MT.

Thanks again Grimord and Rifleman1776. It's getting closer to maybe getting some smoke from this second barrel. I like the gun and the .54 barrel shoots very good.
The gun isn't marked as such, but it was built by Bauska in northern MT.
I just checked the TOW web site and they have all the powder, shot and wads for 15 gauge.

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like the Flintlocks LLC site is down for maintenance. But I ordered enough from TOW to get the ball rolling. This should be a great learning adventure.

Back