• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12ga or 56SB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have a chance to purchase either a 12ga or a T/C 56SB. Of course the 12ga is extremely versatile, but so is the 56. Of course the T/C could have another barrel of a different caliber purchased later on which kind of pulls me that way. What are some of your thoughts?

I think it would depend on what you want to do with it- hunt birds & rabbits - deer - targets? If you want to hunt birds, rabbits & deer I would pick the 12 gauge :thumbsup: .

That's what I am leaning toward. I would like to turkey hunt with it too. Of course in WV I can turkey hunt with a rifle so that is another option.

I have a 12 but no 56sb. I of course would vote 56. Small game no problem with the 56, deer too, easy with PRB. Only advantage I see in the 12 is a bigger pattern for turkey (or call in closer for 56) and for waterfowl.

Solution is obvious....get both.

Shawn, My 56sb shoots a 535 PRB well enough to use over close to Union, WV.(Monroe Co.). Our shots are normally under 75 yds. Still need to work on using shot and you will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Good luck with your decision, Had a .12ga T/C NE, but sold it because I liked the .56sb T/C renegade better.

56 sb. tc recommends a 550 ball.
Renagade, 56 caliber smoothore
Round ball loads (.550", 265 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1195 FPS - 840 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1285 FPS - 972 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1300 FPS - 992 ft.lbs

Ah yeah I have hunted over that way some! I know and respect the information provided on this forum, that why I ask questions here first.

I think I am going to go with the 12ga though. I feel that I will actually get more use out of the 12ga.

shawn_c992001 said:
I feel that I will actually get more use out of the 12ga.

Getting only one, that's sure the route I'd take. In my own 12 (Pietta SxS), I've used loads as light as 5/8 oz with correspondingly light powder charges for close range (inside 20 yard) shooting on snowshoe hare in front of beagles. Sterling performance. For wing shooting, on days when the ptarmigan are holding close, I keep cutting back and cutting back the charges. Never got below 3/4 oz for them, but would have no qualms.

The ability to move up and down the scale while keeping nice patterns is an under-sung virtue of the 12, compared to starting with a smaller bore and loading larger and larger charges into it as circumstances dictate. Said another way, I have much better patterns with large charges from a 12 than from a smaller bore, while the 12 gives as good or perhaps better small charge patterns than the small bore.

Adds up to real versatility in my hands. :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
shawn_c992001 said:
I feel that I will actually get more use out of the 12ga.

Getting only one, that's sure the route I'd take. In my own 12 (Pietta SxS), I've used loads as light as 5/8 oz with correspondingly light powder charges for close range (inside 20 yard) shooting on snowshoe hare in front of beagles. Sterling performance. For wing shooting, on days when the ptarmigan are holding close, I keep cutting back and cutting back the charges. Never got below 3/4 oz for them, but would have no qualms.

The ability to move up and down the scale while keeping nice patterns is an under-sung virtue of the 12, compared to starting with a smaller bore and loading larger and larger charges into it as circumstances dictate. Said another way, I have much better patterns with large charges from a 12 than from a smaller bore, while the 12 gives as good or perhaps better small charge patterns than the small bore.

Adds up to real versatility in my hands. :thumbsup:

I second that.

rj morrison said:
56 sb. tc recommends a 550 ball.
Renagade, 56 caliber smoothore
Round ball loads (.550", 265 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1195 FPS - 840 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1285 FPS - 972 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1300 FPS - 992 ft.lbs

Do not know how I said .535 instead of .550. Have some .535's but the .550's are what I have shot at 25 yds and they were very accurate.

Back