• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 pounder Bronze cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell from the picture if the verdigris I am seeing is the result of anything as dramatic as "bronze disease". If it is just the natural accumulation of copper chloride or copper carbonate (think about the Statue of Liberty) it is actually protective and not destructive. However, if you want to remove the green part of the patina, just rub it with household vinegar (i.e. 5% acetic acid). If you want it to work even faster, dissolve a little table salt in the vinegar. Try it on a small spot on the underside of the gun to see if you like the result. Any time I have to clean old tarnished brass, copper or bronze, I wipe it down with vinegar first.....it makes any subsequent polishing much, much easier as it removes some of the copper carbonate / copper chloride and softens the rest.

Best of luck. Beautiful cannon.

The Boy Scout Motto is "Be Prepared" we didn't need anyone to give us beer, we smuggled it in from dad's supply in the garage. Had to burn those cans real good in the fire so the label was burned off.

Back