• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 guage shot pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there some kind of punch/die so I can cut my own over powder and over shot cards?

I've used a regular 3/4" hole punch to cut them out of cardboard for years. They are usually a tad oversized at about .750"ish but still workable in a 12 gauge. But depending on your cardboard it can take a few solid whacks with a good sized hammer to cut them.

There's a guy up in Canada who makes a die that fits a standard rifle cartridge reloading press that is supposed to be cut them to about .738"ish. I've ordered one of the dies and am just waiting for it to show up in my mail box. Once I get it, I'll set it up and see how it works out and post the results here.

The pattern you want is completely depending on what you are hunting. Since you are shooting 1 1/4 oz of #5, I'm going to assume you are hunting upland game like pheasant. I'm no expert on pheasant, but being about the same size as a mallard, I do know quite a bit about hunting those.

The standard way to pattern a shotgun for wingshooting is to shoot a target at 40 yards, draw a 30" diameter circle around the center, then count the pellets in that circle. The reason for the 30" circle is to get a large statistical vantage point, and 40 yards has maintained as the standard for comparative purposes for a long time now. You can pattern at shorter or longer ranges too, and it's a good idea. 40 yards is only the standard, mostly for comparing pattern percentages. I really do not understand what purpose pattern percentages serve for hunting. You only need to know how many hits you have.

The standard for patterning for head shooting, specifically turkey hunting is the same as before, but you use a 10" circle instead. You again use a large circle for a better statistical reading, but you would be counting forever if you used a 30" for reasons I'll get into next.

What you want from a pattern depends on what you are shooting as I said. For a mallard I am happy with 100 pellets in a 30" circle. Where I get that is my maximum range. Tom Roster says 90-95 is the minimum, and says this should put 2-3 pellets in a bird, which mirrors my real world results. I'll link the chart below which show what he believes to be good minimums. Tom Roster is a fantastic source of knowledge, and has done more real world testing on birds than anyone else ever has.

For turkey hunting you need a much denser pattern if you are going to shoot them in the head. For this reason, you would need a ton of shot in a 30" circle. Nobody has that kind of time to be counting out hundreds of pellets every target. Instead the NWTF and turkey hunters have gone to a 10" circle. The time proven statistic is 100 pellets in a 10" circle is your maximum range. This should put 4-5 pellets in the brain or neck. I'm sure you are asking why you would want so many hits. The reason is there will always be variations. Every pattern has dense and sparse areas. Over time hunters have found these minimums to be good for guaranteeing at least 1 hit in a vital. It's also good practice to shoot your good loads at least 3 times to be sure you have not got a fluke pattern.

I can't give you a specific answer on how good your pattern is. It doesn't look bad, but without knowing a number, I have nothing to compare it to. I can guarantee it will kill a bird at 25 yards, but will it at 35 yards, or 45 yards? You will have to test it and count pellets to know. For your wads, I've tried a few different wad punches. My favorite is the C.S. Osborne arch punch. For 12 gauge, 3/4" is perfect. A whole bunch of us shooter use some kind of paper/card wad of some form. You can shoot with less, but in my own testing, you will want at least 1/8" thick worth of card wadding to provide a good seal. By that I mean if you have .030" card stock, you can cut those out, and stack 5 of them over the powder. I personally am using .090" pallet slip sheet, same thing just thicker, and I use 2 of them. Leather is a surprisingly effective wad. A single cow leather wad provides a good seal.

2015-08-29 121150 (sd.gov)

Cody...1.25 oz of shot over 80grs ffg ...thick card over powder thin card over shot. Cyl / cyl 30yds...

Attachments

• 20220117_071021.jpg
    20220117_071021.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 25
Keep this in mind....patterning for wing shooting on static targets is useless. The swing of your gun will effect shot string 100%fact.

Keep this in mind....patterning for wing shooting on static targets is useless. The swing of your gun will effect shot string 100%fact.
I apologize for not showing traditional firearms, but I don’t think they have very many slow mo BP clay shooting vids. You can see the shot stream is not greatly affected by the swing of the gun. It absolutely must have some small effect, but not enough to make a static patterning shot useless.

David its me!!! From Facebook! I got my pattern figured out!! Indo about the same as your load. I'm at 3 dams of powder then 3 overshot cards over the powder and 3 dams of shot amd one over shot card amd inam very happy with my pattern. I may try some cardboard over powder but for now I'm happy!!

Back