12 gauge Mowrey capable of patched round balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I picked up a 12 gauge Mowrey a few months ago and have finally gathered up some supplies to shoot it. I've got the cards and cushions and a few different sizes of shot. I hope it will perform well as a scattergun as I've heard mixed reviews on the rifles.

I don't think it's a Texas Mowrey, because of the lack of an Olney Tx stamp. It has just their name. It has a 33" full octagonal barrel with no taper. It measures 1" across the flats, has a bore of .729-.730, and a barrel thickness of .141 measured at the center of a flat. While looking it over today, I wondered to myself if it could safely launch out a .710 patched round ball.

The receiver is made of brass and also functions as the breechplug. I know this same receiver/plug design holds up just fine to .54 cal rifle loads. I'm all about having a diversified load portfolio but I don't want a face full of shrapnel getting there.

If thought to be possible, what kind of load would be nominal, given these circumstances?

Reaction score
So, proportionally speaking, if I had a different smoothbore that measures .610, a .575 or .580 round ball would be a good starting place for that load?

Last edited:

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Try both prb and bare ball loads; one or both may prove accurate. For smoothbore prb loads I generally use a ball around .020" (+ or -) under bore size; a smoothbore has no grooves to fill with patch material. For bare ball loads I like a larger ball around .010" under bore size. Change only one variable at a time during testing.

Reaction score
If it has an extended stock. I had that one and sold it a couple few years back. But yes it shoots round balls fine and your shoulder will know it.
haha mannn this thing has A LOT of rear stock. Its like someone hooked a bicycle pump to it and added a few more PSI...quite round on all the edges, shotgun butt, slightly asymmetrical...heavy! but balances the barrel quite nicely...