• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 Ga Pedersoli shotgun and the Sky Chief Turkey load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would post my results with my shotgun using the SkyChief load. I will be using this gun in a few weeks on a turkey hunt and took it out today to see how well it would pattern.

The shotgun is a Pedersoli double barrel percussion shotgun purchased from another forum member about a year ago. It is choked full (left barrel) and modified (right barrel).

The load I used was loaded in this order - 75 grains of Goex FFG, a thick over powder card, 1 1/4 oz of shot, a mix of #4 and #5 shot. A thin overshot card and then a well lubed (I used pure Ballistol) fiber wad, and If it matters, the caps were CCI # 11 caps.

The range was a measured 35 yards. The full choke barrel was a little low but it would still be a dead bird. The modified barrel shot very nicely. These were the last 2 targets we shot, I forgot to photograph the first 2 targets but the results were just as pleasing.

The shot is a mix of 4 and 5 shot because the guy I bought it from mixed it for some strange reason. He did say something about trying to load varmint loads in his shells. At any rate, I got about 25 pounds of it in a coffee can from him for a very reasonable price, so I was happy.

The SkyChief load has been said to work best in imp cylinder chokes but as this shows, it also works very well in a full and modified choked gun.

While I will do my very best to sound like a love sick, horny hen on the call and entice the tom turkey as close as possible, it is nice to know the load is effective out to 35 yards.

Attachments

• Turkey target right modified bbl.jpg
    Turkey target right modified bbl.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Turkey target left bbl full choke .jpg
    Turkey target left bbl full choke .jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
I like to see a minimum of 4 pellets in the brain/spine in any one shot and average 6 over several shots. I’m going to shoot some targets this weekend. I plan on using 6 shot, which I am comfortable will hit hard enough in 20 to 30 yard ranges. My Pedersoli though is modified/improved cylinder. I plan on using 1 1/2 ounce loads. I trust @brittsmoothy that the slight increase in payload isn’t going to damage my gun. I’ll post my results on Sunday.

Jake, nice patterns. I'm curious if you tried any loads like Starr used and wrote about (powder charge, a few thin cards, shotload, topped off with another thin card). He used choked guns with good results with the load. Just curious how they pattern versus the "Skychief load" in choked guns as my guns are cylinder bored.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Best regards, Skychief.

Hi Guys,

Skychief and Brit, I did try some loads with just thin over powder and over shot cards. They did not do as well as the Skychief loading method, although I may try something different next time. For now this will work very well for my upcoming hunt.

Nobade,
Old Hawkeye described it perfectly, I have also made a short starter to assist in loading this gun and a range rod for the clays fields..

I might add I also tried a roundball out of the modified choke barrel, It impacted 12" low and about 8" left. I need to work on that load, I then fired a load of buckshot from the full choked barrel, same result low and left for the fairly spread out pattern. I look forward to working on those loads.

Attachments

• Pedersoli 12 ga.jpg
    Pedersoli 12 ga.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 32
I know this is off topic , but I wonder if any of you might be able to help.

I have a Pedersoli 12 gauge SXS Coach gun. The barrels are cylinder bore & .720 inside diameter and a short 20 inches.
At this point, I just shoot clays on a berm about 20 yards out. Would the heavily oil soaked cushion wad Skychief load be expected to help focus the shot better than a loading method of powder , nitro card , lubed felt wad ,shot and thin over shot card.

This is the gun… I always liked the look of the Coach gun. I’ve had a little trouble with accuracy and my range only allows the clays set on the berm so it’s hard to get a clear picture of exactly where it’s hitting when I play with loads. I figure the short barrel is allowing for too much spread too early after leaving the barrel and thought Skychief might help focus the shot.
Also with the .720 cylinder bore , are there any suggestions for a roundball size to go with it. I’d just drop the ball in and use over shot card or wad to hold the ball in place.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...ct_name/PS0914+COACH+GUN+--+12+GAUGE+20"+BBRL

Not to be a smart a**,but those are not good patterns.You better pull back to 25 yards and hope the pattern gets better.You should have a average of 6 or more pellets in the brain and spinal cord,like the poster above said.Turkeys are not that easy to kill,and very seldom are a stationary target.

With it being a choked gun do try just thin cards. Not to discredit anyone or anything but to simplify your component requirements in the field. It will also be simple to load past chokes.

FWIW the above load in my 20ga throws about a 4' pattern at 25 yds, no good at all for turkey. Skycheif load tightened right up and is great.

Theory on why the SC load is so good, I think the oil soaked thick wad is heavy and pulls the load along behind t causing a tighter pattern? Of so should work well on a coach gun as well?

I thought I would post my results with my shotgun using the SkyChief load. I will be using this gun in a few weeks on a turkey hunt and took it out today to see how well it would pattern.

The shotgun is a Pedersoli double barrel percussion shotgun purchased from another forum member about a year ago. It is choked full (left barrel) and modified (right barrel).

The load I used was loaded in this order - 75 grains of Goex FFG, a thick over powder card, 1 1/4 oz of shot, a mix of #4 and #5 shot. A thin overshot card and then a well lubed (I used pure Ballistol) fiber wad, and If it matters, the caps were CCI # 11 caps.

The range was a measured 35 yards. The full choke barrel was a little low but it would still be a dead bird. The modified barrel shot very nicely. These were the last 2 targets we shot, I forgot to photograph the first 2 targets but the results were just as pleasing.

The shot is a mix of 4 and 5 shot because the guy I bought it from mixed it for some strange reason. He did say something about trying to load varmint loads in his shells. At any rate, I got about 25 pounds of it in a coffee can from him for a very reasonable price, so I was happy.

The SkyChief load has been said to work best in imp cylinder chokes but as this shows, it also works very well in a full and modified choked gun.

While I will do my very best to sound like a love sick, horny hen on the call and entice the tom turkey as close as possible, it is nice to know the load is effective out to 35 yards.
I have an older Pedersoli 12ga SxS with 30" imp/cyl barrel. I tried shooting at one of 3 huge Osceola longbeards with it at 30yds & it didnt do anything to them. I let both barrels of 80gr T7/ 1/8" wad 1.5oz #5 shot ( its all I have ) & an over shot card - fly, & all 3 birds flew over the fence unharmed. I wished the heck that mine had a full/mod on it. My fav O/U was my SKB mod 600 with full/mod barrels. I've considered having screw in choke tubes put in it, but then I read about this - sky chief load & decided to put some more time & effort into just learning how to use the gun & what its real capabilities are & rid myself of what are prob - unrealistic expectations with it.
I just got some thick wads, & over powder & shot cards, I need to get some other shot to try out as well. I thought about trying the reg 12ga plastic wads, but thats a last resort & expense. I put the gun up ( frustrated with it ) over a yr ago & havent touched it since. Reading posts like this, inspires me to get that thing out, learn how to use it & start enjoying it. So, TY for that.

I have an older Pedersoli 12ga SxS with 30" imp/cyl barrel. I tried shooting at one of 3 huge Osceola longbeards with it at 30yds & it didnt do anything to them. I let both barrels of 80gr T7/ 1/8" wad 1.5oz #5 shot ( its all I have ) & an over shot card - fly, & all 3 birds flew over the fence unharmed. I wished the heck that mine had a full/mod on it. My fav O/U was my SKB mod 600 with full/mod barrels. I've considered having screw in choke tubes put in it, but then I read about this - sky chief load & decided to put some more time & effort into just learning how to use the gun & what its real capabilities are & rid myself of what are prob - unrealistic expectations with it.
I just got some thick wads, & over powder & shot cards, I need to get some other shot to try out as well. I thought about trying the reg 12ga plastic wads, but thats a last resort & expense. I put the gun up ( frustrated with it ) over a yr ago & havent touched it since. Reading posts like this, inspires me to get that thing out, learn how to use it & start enjoying it. So, TY for that.
I was a little surprised at the difficulty I had getting an acceptable load for my Pedersoli SxS 12 ga. imp. cyl/modified. With standard lead shot and traditional like loading accessories i.e. waxed paper fiber wads and shot cards the best I could do with limited patterning was 15 yards for the improved cylinder and 20 yards for the modified (for wild turkey #6 shot). I’m certain that I could be comfortable with 20/25 by working on the load, but it takes a lot of time and trial and error that with a modern gun the ammo companies have already worked out for you. Good on you for regaining some ambition. I will continue to work my load as well.

Back