• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.12 ga. double and rd balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
Hey Daryl, i cast up some .690 rd. balls yesterday after my mould arrived. I took some out today to try in the Navy Arms double barrel. I decided to try the left barrel first. I loaded 90grs. of RS, an over powder wad and fiber cushion wad, and then the rd. ball inside a Win,AA plastic shotcup that i had cut the cushions off from and shortened to just less than ball length. I seated that and then put an overshot card wad on top. Good thing i went with the .690 ball and not a .715, as they are a real tight fit in the cup in the bore. Anyway, the first shot was dead center for windage and about 4" high at 25 yds. Not bad i thought, lets see if we can do that again, so i loaded her up again and the next shot just made the first hole a little larger. I says, ok, this is looking good, lets see where the right barrel hits. Let my mind wander, i know, but it happens when ya get old, and poured powder down rt. barrel, seated overpowder and fiber wads, and then seated the cup and ball down the left barrel. Knew it as soon as i did it. Thankfully rd. balls pull pretty easy out of a smoothbore barrel. So then i seated the ball on the powder in the rt. barrel, and it opened the hole up a little more. All shots in the same large hole from both barrels. Both barrels are right on at 25 yds. Going to do some more experimenting at 50 and 75 yds. but most of my shots are less than 50 yds., so i think this thing will get the job done for me. Who needs rifling anyway. ::

Let my mind wander, i know, but it happens when ya get old, and poured powder down rt. barrel, seated overpowder and fiber wads, and then seated the cup and ball down the left barrel.

LOL! I know I would do that regularly, so I limit myself to single-barrel shotguns.

Sounds like some good shooting.

Stumpkiller, i think it will work fine during the general rifle season, (can't use it during special ML;er seasons because of the second barrel). Should be good on deer and elk with a quick second shot if needed.

I carry a wooden plug with a ball top that I put on the barrel I am not loading. When done with that barrel I move it to the other while loading the second barrel. Not that I have ever done what you described. :: ::

Hey Rebel,

That's the very reason I decided to go with a single barrel as my mind ain't what it used to be.LOL!

Plus in WV during ML season doubles are taboo. How'd that thing kick with .690 rb in it?

Sounds like you got yourself a winning combo there!

Thanks for your input on the other post.

Chuck Goodall
"The Original Huntin' Fool"
&
Kanawha Ranger Scribe

Huntingfool, well recoil was noticeable, but not unbearable. About like shooting 90 grs of powder and 1 1/4 oz of shot. Accuracy was better than expected., especially out of both barrels. And normally i put the ramrod down the barrel i'm not loading, so i know which one i am loading, but today just didn't do it and now i remember why i do.LOL

No Powder "Not that i've ever done what you described" :haha: :haha: Guess we've all done that one at some time if we have been at this sport any time at all. huh. ::

Rebel- THAT's GREAT!! - What a 'nice' hunting gun for sure. The best senario is that the right barrels shoots 1" or so to the right and the left barrel 1" to the left. By this I mean they should shoot parallel, not crossing nore spreading. This will give the longest range of accurate fire. Adjusting the powder charge can bring them together or spead them.
: As far as geting the tubes mixed up, some sort of barrel marker as described is handy. Shooting two charges + ball will get your attention if all in the same tube.

Back