• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

12 bore English Sporting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got this "no name" 12 bore English Sporting rifle. Looks like I will need to find some balls and patches to feed it.

If anyone knows what the markings on the barrel mean, other than the proof markings, please speak up.

Fleener

Lovely rifle there Fleener.

12 is the gauge, (bore), and I can only see the proofs apart form that. It looks in lovely order!

Fantastic bore. Roses were Birmingham barrel makers, a very large family. I've just been re-laying a rib and browning a 14 bore single barrel made by Roses. (Smith, Cornhill on the top flat.)

I have never seen a better bore, and congratulations on finding this one.
What is the rate of twist?

It will be for soft -skinned dangerous game. (Lion, Tiger and such) Made for firing a ball I believe. (More reliable stoppers than a conical ) I always regret not buying one similar when I had the chance in the early '80's. (Leeds arms fair)
Are there any markings inside the lock? It looks So clean, just about brand new!

Again, a lovely gun!

Richard.

thanks for the info on the barrel maker. I did not know that.

No markings on the lock that I can see. The rate of twist is one in 45.

thanks

fleener

Latest posts

Back