• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#11 vs musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a real advantage to using musket caps over #11 caps? Have always used #11's but for you that have used both, did it make a difference? Thanks

They might be a bit hotter, but I had a civilian rifle with musket nipple and I didn’t notice it to be more sure fire. I thing it was easier to grab by nervous fingers in battle

I've used both. I think for me, the number 11's are better. When I tried musket caps, I had a lot of misfires. I think the problem for me was that the hammer wasn't falling squarely on the nipple. At least with the smaller caps you have a bit more wiggle room if your hammer is off center a bit.

The previous posters hit both of the main issues with using musket caps. they are good for handling in cold weather, and they do provide a somewhat hotter spark, but on a side hammer gun the cap has to be hit squarely or it won't go off. Some like to use the musket caps for igniting some of the BP substitutes that require a hot spark to go off. I prefer the #11 when I shoot my cap guns.

I happen to like the musket caps better for a few reasons. Easier to handle, more sure-fire with substitutes, stay on the nipple before and after firing, can reuse the cup with priming compound.

I happen to like the musket caps better for a few reasons. Easier to handle, more sure-fire with substitutes, stay on the nipple before and after firing, can reuse the cup with priming compound.

I have never used a musket nipple. Do you know they size of the flash hole in the nipple?

Here are two examples of nipples. The one on the left is for a standard #11 percussion cap. On the right is for an Enfield CW musket, using the much larger musket cap. Judge for yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_1401[273].jpg
    IMG_1401[273].jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 99
Here are two examples of nipples. The one on the left is for a standard #11 percussion cap. On the right is for an Enfield CW musket, using the much larger musket cap. Judge for yourself.
Do you have the ability to measure it? Once a #11 gets to .0385 it will cock the hammer and the accuracy goes out the window.
It would be interesting to see how big the hole is. Does it cock to half cock when you shoot?

I ran a feeler gauge through these two nipples. The one on the left is a standard 1/4x28 nipple, flash hole size is .020. The musket nipple is .043, the mainspring on the Enfield is much heavier to prevent hammer blowback.
TOW has a nipple to fit the 1/4x28 to be able to handle the musket cap. Flash hole size is unknown.

Attachments

• IMG_1401[273].jpg
    IMG_1401[273].jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 60
Though they are a bit hotter, the real benefit is that they create a greater VOLUME of gas.

The following data was published in:

Muzzle Blasts, Ralph Lermayer, "Madison Avenue, Congress, and Controversial Ballistics," May 1998, page 42.

• CCI Primer And Percussion Cap Chart
  • #200 Lg Rifle . . . Flame Temperature F° 3024 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 11.68
  • #250 Lg Rifle Mag . . . Flame Temperature F° 3717 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 11.97
  • #209 . . . Flame Temperature F° 3024 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 21.98
  • #10 . . . Flame Temperature F° 3024 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 6.53
  • #11 . . . Flame Temperature F° 3024 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 6.53
  • #11 Mag . . . Flame Temperature F° 3024 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 7.59
  • Musket Cap . . . Flame Temperature F° 3717 . . . Gas Volume (cc) 14.36

In my experience musket caps, good ones like RWS, absolutely are more sure fire. Especially on the first shot when gunk may be causing problems. Muskets caps are easier to handle. For hunting I would definitely use musket caps. Musket caps are expensive. If not for price I'd use them whenever I could.

CCI "reenactor" musket caps are garbage.

#11 caps are fiddley to handle. This will be more of an issue as one get older. Invest in a Ted Cash capper. I use CCI #11 mag for no particular reason. They blast into irregular jagged edges. Removing them from the hammer recess can cut the heck out of you fingers. I had that happen to my trigger finger three weeks ago. I cut it real good. It made shooting difficult with a super tight band-aid. IT bled off and on for several days. Even now the skin is not smooth. Remove spent caps with a tool!

The musket caps are absolutely better but the problem when trying to put them on a "civilian" type rifle is the size of the hammer. The nose of the hammer on civilian guns is designed for the smaller cap meaning if it ain't hitting dead square, you're going to have problems. Also, most muskets have heavier hammers and stronger springs.

Being left handed and shooting right handed percussion rifles the difference between #11 and musket caps are readily apparent.

I barely notice the blast on my right supporting arm with #11 caps, but the musket caps sting like the Dickens, forcing you to wear long sleeves or cut the toe from an old sock and use as a shield.

Muskets have a much larger hammer and stronger springs, i've never tried using musket caps on anything but muskets.

I did open up the hole on a #11 nipple as a teen to the point the hammer blew back to half cock and i got soot in my face. Bad idea.

I made a side hammer that looks lot like a Jenks. The hammer was made with musket caps in mind. The nipple rests right on the side of the powder charge. I have never had a single misfire with that rifle. IT does not required cleaning before loading. The locks time feels the same as a cartridge gun.

Musket caps are easier to handle. I use #11s on a Zouave and have had no ill side effects.

I've used musket caps. It needs a good hammer to nipple alignment to work well. I wouldn't use CCI musket caps. They made them weaker after being sued. RWS musket cap are the best but so are the RWS #11 caps. I use the RWS #11 caps now and they seem pretty hot. Even more so than the CCI mag #11 caps.

Back