• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 vs musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been using those CCI reenactor caps on my Investarms .54 Hawken with no problems so far. Dixie Gun Works has several sizes of replacement nipple in stock if you need one.

I’ve been using those CCI reenactor caps on my Investarms .54 Hawken with no problems so far. Dixie Gun Works has several sizes of replacement nipple in stock if you need one.

You're lucky. They're weak for musket caps but probably equal to a normal #11 cap.

Yup. I definitely prefer RWS, but the LGS here has lots of the CCI so I thought I would give them a try. They definitely are not as hot as the RWS, but they are getting the job done so far.

Some years back the CCI musket caps were so hot Civil war reenactors were having hell with them on the two rank battle line. I understand CCI started making a milder cap, but I wound up with a scad of the old ones, used only on a Zouave and a .50 cal Virginia caplock.

So reading though this thread, these will work on my Pedersoli Frontier for the most part? Maybe not ideal but as a #11 cap substitute in a pinch?
View attachment 73924
No. Not without changing the nipple to a Musket size.
Whether a musket size nipple will work is also an issue on some guns. Unless the center of the hammer is right at the center of the nipple, the edges of the hammer nose can strike the cap, slowing down the speed of the hammer right before it makes full contact with the cap.

I spent many years hunting in the rain forest in Washington. The only cap that worked always was the RWS musket cap. Only problem I ever had was one time a piece of the cap hit my lip and drew blood.
Got the buck though.:)

So reading though this thread, these will work on my Pedersoli Frontier for the most part? Maybe not ideal but as a #11 cap substitute in a pinch?
View attachment 73924
That's what I just purchased. I was having a hard time finding any, except at a crazy high price, and then found my favorite gun shop/range had two boxes (20 tins of 100) in stock. I forced myself to buy just three tins of them at only $5.00/tin. The paper box they were in said "Reenactor Caps" but the tins said "Multiple Use". So we'll see how well they work. Fortunately I still have a tin of approx. 90 ea. of the older stronger caps. Can't help think these caps are still stronger than the #11s.

The musket caps fit the larger cone of a musket nipple. They will be greatly oversized for the normally encountered #11 cone. You will find that a musket nipple threaded for your rifle might work.

Back