• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#11 vs Musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
In a typical percussion rifle, is there any real difference in performance between #11 and musket caps as far as ignition, etc. go? I picked up a Zolli Zouave that came with both #11 and musket nipples which I have yet to fire. Managed to find a few hundred musket caps, but mostly have 11s. I also have a few musket cap nipples for my TC New Englanders/Hawkens, although I haven't used them. I do have an older new englander that is a little hesitant n ignition sometimes and I kind of wonder if it wouldn't fire more consistently with a musket cap.

Take a look at your nipple. It will probably have a very large through the nipple. All too often, firing a round will blow the hammer back to half or full cock. You don't want this. Order new nipples from Track of the Wolf for the #11 cap sized for your Zouave. Might as well get the musket cap sized nipple as well. I found the #11 nipple performed just fine and with the new nipple, the hammer wasn't getting blown back.

Grenadier, the Zouave came with both #11 and musket cap nipples and I ordered an extra one of each, so I have lots to choose from. I believe it arrived with a #11 nipple installed, so I presume that is how the prior owner shot it. Just never fooled with musket caps before.

I put musket cap nipples on any gun the hammer geometry will allow. Mainly because the musket caps are easier to handle than the #11s. I think they provide better ignition too, but a have no data to support that theory.

While the service rifles had the easier to handle musket caps a number 11 cap will work fine. Most 451 Target rifles had the smaller cap and oddly the double Jacobs rifles had the smaller number 26 cap( The Jacobs infantry rifle passified much of the North West Frontier though an Irregular force . I only know because I'me restoring one ).But the byrilium copper nipple or the small vent steel nipple if needed will work fine at much less cost than the top hats do .

As an aside Jacobs was a serious experimenter & capable administrater . till his death about 1860 if you look up the map of Baluchistan between Quetta & Karachi the rail go's through Jacobabad . A fitting tribute to his Civil Administration . His Rifle had 24" barrels to lob a 32 bore' shell' out to its sights that go up to 2,000 yards in order to explode ammunition waggons the shell being if needed being filled with explosive compounds . the four winged patched bullet two & a half time its diameter took 2 & a half drams of powder . I shot it out to 300 yards trying cattle killer blanks but the reports where scarce audible you need a hard thin target like a ammunition waggon.? And more powder than I wanted to waste ! . Rudyard

Extremely easy to demonstrate the advantage of musket caps. Just cap with a #11 and point it at the dirt a few inches away then do the same with a 1081 RWS musket cap....did I mention those RWS caps are waterproof, and way easier to handle with cold fingers. I lived in and hunted the western Washington rain forest anybody starts singing about Seattle's blue skies hasn't been there much.

Back