• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 percussion caps versus musket caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which is more reliable for ignition and also is one better than the other as far as being moisture resistant? Seems like the musket caps would be easier to handle with cold fingers too?

Musket caps easier to handle as you say, and a Lot more flame to them.
It also depends on what nipples you can get for whatever you have, as most sporting guns are not fitted with musket nipples, but they can be found with the normal smaller threads I think.

No 10/11 or No 26 work well enough though, but the former two are very fiddly without a capper.

Pukka.

Of all the caps I ever used the musket caps were the only ones I got a tin of that were terrible performance wise. 1/3 did not fire, (cap went off, gun did not) another brand and all went bang. HARDER TO LOCATE FOR PURCHASE (and more expensive). With no ignition problems I would leave on the shelf myself.

I've used them in the past without problems, they are much easier to grasp and hold with cold fingers and they do contain more priming compound than a 10 or 11. TOW sells the nipples in 6-.75mm and 1/4X28 thread with the musket cone so you can, for example, convert your Lyman GPR to use the musket caps - which is what I did and it worked fine for me.

I've stopped using the musket caps as they became so expensive, more than twice the cost of 11's, and they just are not needed for reliable ignition. I should say that the only musket caps I used or trusted were RWS, and have heard nothing good about the CCI "Reeanactor" Caps. I still have some of the RWS musket caps left but am keeping them for the muskets if I ever start shooting them again.

Added - I found a handy way to carry the musket caps when hunting was in a civil war type (repro) leather cap pouch, left over from my CW reenact. days.

I don't know if the musket caps are any more moisture resistant, but I've never had issues with properly stored 10's or 11's.

"as they became so expensive" RWS musket caps (the very best) are $13/1000 more than RWS 1075s where I buy them. That's $.013 more per cap, not enough to worry about.

Using black powder and a good nipple I see no reason to use musket caps on anything except Civil War guns designed for them. The big advantages are they are easier to handle and recap when shooting fast and the wings allow one to orient the cap correctly by feel. I too find a CW cap pouch to be the easiest way to carry and access them.

I've never used musket caps but when I do my part, never had a problem with regular #11 caps. There are things you can do to #11 caps to help make them weather resistant.

hawkeye2 said:
"as they became so expensive" RWS musket caps (the very best) are $13/1000 more than RWS 1075s where I buy them. That's $.013 more per cap, not enough to worry about.

Are you sure about the price? That may be the cost per 100 caps. Most retail prices for caps run $7 to $10 for 100 Number 11 caps.

In any event, the cone for a musket cap is too large for many of the recesses in the hammer face of a gun designed for firing #11 caps. Not much is gained by using a musket cap. If you must, you can use the #11 magnum caps for a bit more primer.

Grenadier1758 said:
hawkeye2 said:

Are you sure about the price? That may be the cost per 100 caps. Most retail prices for caps run $7 to $10 for 100 Number 11 caps.

In any event, the cone for a musket cap is too large for many of the recesses in the hammer face of a gun designed for firing #11 caps. Not much is gained by using a musket cap. If you must, you can use the #11 magnum caps for a bit more primer.
Powder Inc has RWS caps for $117.50 for 1000 and I believe that includes the HAZMAT fee.

The last musket caps I bought here in UK [a country not far from Germany, you will recall] cost me $36 for a 250 plastic 'tin'.

That's 14.4c each.

As there is no other option, it's those or nothing.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
Musket caps are hard to find in many areas of the country. #10s and #11s are everywhere by comparison. I've yet to have any issues with the 10s and 11s. That's reason enough for me.

But if I had a rifle musket, of course I'd need to hunt for musket caps to be authentic... one reason why I've yet to get one.

"Are you sure about the price? That may be the cost per 100 caps. Most retail prices for caps run $7 to $10 for 100 Number 11 caps."

Musket Caps
Dynamite Nobel
(German)
Musket Caps $78.00 / 1000
Schuetzen
(German)
Musket Caps $70.00 / 1000

Pistol Caps
Dynamite Nobel
(German)
Pistol Caps $65.00 / 1000

Dynamite Nobel means RWS, Pistol caps are 1075s

I buy all my caps & powder below and only buy in lots of 1000 or more, 5 lbs. bags of powder. Ten miles down the road and at the exit of Ft. Shenandoah, the N-SSA national range. BTW, he ships nationwide.
http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always used musket caps on my rifles.

They are bigger and easier to handle plus hunting in damp conditions I think the extra flame may up my odds of a successful shot.

Probably not necessary but it gives me confidence and I don't worry about a little extra cost for that feeling.

I used musket caps with my Pattern 1853 Enfield .58-cal. rifle-musket for over 30 years as a Civil War reenactor with no complaints, and they are much easier to handle than No. 11s, particularly in the cold. However, I would never use them on my Great Plains Rifle or T/C Renegade because they are way too expensive and hard to get now, and I've never had a single problem with a No. 11 not going off, other than a few times when the nipple was clogged after extended shooting. And, I have several No. 11 cappers that work very well. I have one tin of 100 German musket caps left for my Enfield for living history demonstrations and when they are gone, I'm going to retire the rifle to hanging on my wall, and concentrate on shooting my .50-cals. I can get No. 11s at Academy or Walmart cheap.
If you do go with musket caps and a musket cap nipple on your non-military ML, get a good leather cap box like this russet Confederate model, with lambs wool inside. Very easy to use and get musket caps from ”” but they ain't cheap. I tried keeping caps loose in my pocket once during a reenactment battle ... and that didn't work out well at all. Or, just keep them in the tin they come in if you aren't trying to do period.

rrv1hx.jpg

Like SgtMaj, I have forgotten how many Musket Caps I used in reenacting and live firing Military Rifles, Rifle Muskets and other Arms. However, Military Arms had the much larger caps because those Arms were fired MANY more times in a Battle than we will ever shoot in a day of hunting. They needed the added flame to make up for the fact the barrels got so fouled during a Battle when cleaning was not possible.

The first time I ever fired a BP rifle it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit above Zero and I was using my then brand new TC Hawken Rifle in January 1972. Only shot it three times as it was so cold, but did not have any trouble with the gun going off.

Period Hunters and Mountain Men who hunted in far worse conditions normally/almost never had Musket Nipples fitted to their guns.

So for me, I'll stick to number 11 caps for hunting rifles.

Gus

Back