• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#11 Nipple Threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutnfancy

40 Cal
Reaction score
I ran into a problem not long ago trying to replace the #11 nipple to a CVA rifle, my T/C's would not work. After some research I discovered that #11 nipples have three different threads sizes depending on country of manufacture. Here is what I discovered:

1/4 x 28 threads = USA (Thompson Center & Green Mountain)
6 x .75 threads = Italy (Lyman)
6mm x 1 threads =Spain (CVA)

Last edited:
Yes, I didn't know there was I difference. Been shooting a muzzleloader off and on for over 40 years and until I acquired the CVA the only rifles I had any experience with were Thompson Center, the CVA was a learning experience for me.

I ran into a problem not long ago trying to replace the #11 nipple to a CVA rifle, my T/C's would not work. After some research I discovered that #11 nipples have three different threads sizes depending on country of manufacture. Here is what I discovered:

1/4 x 28 threads = USA (Thompson Center & Green Mountain)
6 x .75 threads = Italy (Lyman)
6mm x 1 threads =Spain (CVA)
List like this can be deceptive. Need to either measure and/or know specific model. For example Thompson Center Cherokees and Senecas use 12-28 threads. Some Pedersoli and Uberti gun’s, made in Italy, use 1/4-28 nipples. There are no hard and fast rules. Always possible previous gun owner changed things. And then there are original guns...

Then there are the revolvers. Nipples can be threaded for 5.5 x 0.9 or 5.5 x 1.0 (31 caliber Dragoons?) or maybe one of the 6mm thread pitches.

I have forgotten what thread diameter and pitch as well as cone length, are required for some underhammer rifles.

Then you may have length of cone issues. I have one pistol that has a requirement for a long cone or else the hammer stops at the frame and never contacts the cap to set off the primer.

Thanks for the info.
Imagine every rifle, actually made in America, will have standard threads, 1/4-28 for #11’s.

Last edited:
I have an italian made with 1/4-28 threads. Country of origin can not be used to determine nipple threads.

What makes you say this? Maybe every made in America rifle you own does, but simply not the case. Way too small of a sample size.
I believe it’s true as stated in the OP, seems realistic regardless of sample size.
You’re welcome to list any ML repo rifles made in the USA that used a metic thread or used a #11 that is NOT a 1/4-28.

Last edited:
I believe it’s true as stated in the OP. You’re welcome to list any ML repo rifles made in the USA that use a metic thread or that uses a #11 that is NOT a 1/4-28.
Previously mentioned (or listed) in this thread are a number of USA made guns using number 11 caps that did not have 1/4-28 threads. Own a few of them myself. TC Senecas and Cherokees, and Ruger Old Armys, for example, use 12-28 threaded nipples. Also mentioned were Springfields with 5/16-24, unless none count as previously mentioned/listed USA made guns?

And just for discussion, what about nipple threads in original American made guns? I know the ones I have are not 1/4-28, or are we only talking about contemporary made American made reproduction guns?

Last edited:
In some cases, especially revolvers, it is necessary chuck nipples in a drill press or an electric drill and reduce their diameter to get them to go off reliably. This is not normally required on rifles since the hammer fall on rifles has more gusto than revolvers.

I have no idea now, what thread I used to make my drum for the .56 Leman barrel for my Browning. I sure hope it was 1/4x28NF! I had no idea there were so many threads. I used the Hotshot nipple, as I recall. 10 yrs ago, faulty memory and all. Whatever pitch that was, it was SAE, not metric.

Tinhorn

Being there are so many different thread sizes is the reason I posted this thread as a lot of folks don't know that, especially beginners, I just wanted to make them aware. What I posted was an example, a partial list if you will, not a fixed list as some here tried to make it to be. Like I said earlier in another post, I'm here to learn and to help with what I know, I don't know it all but am willing to share what I do. That's what communities do, share and learn for each other, not criticize............

8 - 1.25 mm for my Italian made Parker Hale musket
5/16 x 24 for my Zoli Zouave
thread sizes are all over the place, I have saved some old Dixie Gunworks catalogs for reference

Latest posts

Back