• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#11 firing Cap problem ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with CCi Magnum #11 caps fitting excessively tight and not firing ?
I bought 1000 and started using them today. Hard to get them off the nipple after multiple attempts to get them to go off. Found a pack of Remington and older CCi caps and they all fired 1st attempt. They were easier to remove as well.
Didn't know if others have seen problem. Tried them on several rifles and installed new nipple on one, no difference.

May have to try several different nipples to find one that fits. Or dress the one you have.

I bought 1000 and started using them today. Hard to get them off the nipple after multiple attempts to get them to go off.
You have 1000 caps from a single lot. They should all be the same. Modify your nipple(s) so the caps fit and fire to your satisfaction. Nipples are inexpensive consumable items.

May have to try several different nipples to find one that fits. Or dress the one you have.
Did on several guns. Installed new nipple on one and one gun was new. all resulted in tight fits and non firing. Old CCi and Remington caps worked as normal.

Has anyone had problems with CCi Magnum #11 caps fitting excessively tight and not firing ?
I bought 1000 and started using them today. Hard to get them off the nipple after multiple attempts to get them to go off. Found a pack of Remington and older CCi caps and they all fired 1st attempt. They were easier to remove as well.
Didn't know if others have seen problem. Tried them on several rifles and installed new nipple on one, no difference.
I've been using the same caps on my squirrel rifle with out any problems, but I haven't tried them on any of my other rifles.

Welcome to the club. Many of us have found exactly like you have. These caps are not #11 they are more like 10.5 or so. Work a nipple down to size and then do another one or two while you've got the tools out. Saves time in the long run and you'll have that spare nipple when it's needed.

Ok, so you bought a thousand of'm,,
You must be planning to use them for awhile.(I would)
The new cap's don't work with new nipples, But old cap's do work with new nipples.
You can't get 1000, old caps. (everyone else has already bought all of them)(and they ain't sharing)
And Darn!, the new cap's have a sizing issue for the nipple(s) your using (they are too small)

It's best to follow @morechops52 's advice,,
Just chuck up and fix the nipples to fit the "non-standard" 1,000 nipples you have
I mean honest, a brick of cap's is a couple years of shooting at the least. A thousand cap's will easily burn out 2-3 nipples.
So modify, adapt your guns to what you have, it's not complicated,,

Seeing this happen to her friend of mine, who had to shoot every cap twice, The problem is, the cap is not going all the way down on the nipple and it takes two strikes to fire, one to seat it And one to fire. Chuck that nipple lightly in drill and take some sandpaper after it, and I think it will be fine. Don't worry about destroying the nipple if you use a little caution and trial fit as you go. You can buy a new nipple for the price of one box of caps if needed.

I also bought 1000 CCI 11 mag. Some were missing the chemical inside. I also find that they come off the nipple but are stuck in the hammer.

I have near 1,000 CCI #11 mag. that I bought just a few years ago and no problem with them. So dress the nipple down bit by bit and the caps will work.

Ok, so you bought a thousand of'm,,
You must be planning to use them for awhile.(I would)
The new cap's don't work with new nipples, But old cap's do work with new nipples.
You can't get 1000, old caps. (everyone else has already bought all of them)(and they ain't sharing)
And Darn!, the new cap's have a sizing issue for the nipple(s) your using (they are too small)

It's best to follow @morechops52 's advice,,
Just chuck up and fix the nipples to fit the "non-standard" 1,000 nipples you have
I mean honest, a brick of cap's is a couple years of shooting at the least. A thousand cap's will easily burn out 2-3 nipples.
So modify, adapt your guns to what you have, it's not complicated,,

This is exactly what I'd do.

(posted elsewhere; repeated here fyi) Bought 3 tins of CCI #11's at Academy and most were duds. Nipple fit had nothing to do with it, the duds wouldn't fire when hit with a hammer on an anvil. Those that fired left weird wax globs in nipple hard to clean out. CCI lot number G21D301 on side of can. CCI refunded.

Bought 2 tins of Remington #11's at Cabela's and shot 25 today at range and all good. Recommend avoiding CCI until they sort it out.

Last edited:
I contacted CCi and they are having me return the ones I have. Super nice technical support, very quick response and took action on facilitating return process quickly

I contacted CCi and they are having me return the ones I have. Super nice technical support, very quick response and took action on facilitating return process quickly

Interesting. I offered to return them so they could evaluate and they said no we don't want them - they preferred to just send a refund. Their response to you indicates "...this is getting out of hand; maybe we better take a look at this...".

I worked for CCI.
They are ISO certified and take quality very seriously. Every single part they make is traceable to the day it was made, what line, and what employees were working that line. Same with the components that made the parts. Samples are taken frequently and sent to their QA department to be tested. Still, a quality issue can slip through. They catch a lot of them in house.
Their response depends on the situation. If it is an issue they are yet unaware of, they will want defective product sent back to them so they can see for themselves what is causing the issue. Every single quality issue, and especially ones that get through and go to a customer, will result in the SOP being modified, or a new quality check, more frequent quality checks, etc., etc. Some kind of paperwork and altered job duties will result to try to prevent it from happening, or at least to try to keep it from escaping to the customer again.
yellowhammer, I'd guess in your situation they were already aware of the issue with the Lot number of your caps, so they had no need to see them.

In all the tins of CCI caps I have used, I can honestly say I can count on one hand the ones that didn't go "pop". They have been very trouble free for me.

Latest posts

Back