• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

100 yards off hand today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter thompson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I WENT TO THE RANGE...in a relaxed mood non rushing..BEST times to shoot is being rested and laid back.I went to a competition line shoot and showed up late a few tears ago...THE best ive ever did..i won 25/50/100 offhand that day.Iam more focused and more alert than early mornings and caffeined up. Just a few pointers for you from 1000s of roundballs down range.

Attachments

• 101_0875.JPG
    101_0875.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 3
DF12BE22-BC6F-491D-A7EA-FA75FA1532C2.jpeg

Shot this last week.
0AEB710B-5053-481B-A5A5-6DDB29A38B50.jpeg

4 shots
TVM Natchez PoorBoy Flintlock
.40 calibre, 40 grains fffg GOEX, pillow ticking patch, moose milk lube

Bright Clear sunny day, no wind, 78 degrees

I’m afraid my days of “Shots Touching” @ 100 yrds, are clearly behind me. But still...that’s all shots in the vitals of a deer or antelope

Any Other Takers? I’d love to see other’s 4 shot groups, guns, loads….

Last edited:
I WENT TO THE RANGE...in a relaxed mood non rushing..BEST times to shoot is being rested and laid back.I went to a competition line shoot and showed up late a few tears ago...THE best ive ever did..i won 25/50/100 offhand that day.Iam more focused and more alert than early mornings and caffeined up. Just a few pointers for you from 1000s of roundballs down range.
That's some pretty good shooting. I know when I can on occasion keep them all in the black at 100 yards at a match it feels really satisfying. It usually means a score in the 40s out of 50, depending on target.

I have trouble doing that well at 50 yds offhand, so I don't bother trying 100 yds.
Yeah, my eyes are not what they used to be either, and things are a lot more wobbly these days when holding the rifle. The target looks like a tiny fuzzy dot at 100 yards, I felt so good that I was even on the paper with all 4 shots.

I will admit that I’ve been doing long shooting sessions, at least once or twice a week since last November, offhand and from the bench. I think that has helped a lot, shooting is a diminishing skill.

I used to be able to shoot “shots touching“ at 100 yrds…how the heck did I do that?…Longtime ago, much younger eyes I guess.

Good shooting! :thumb: If I can do that off the bench I am happy. Don't get old my wife says! Ha, I tell her, too late.
Better check the barrel key, for what little I can make out, looks like it is slightly backed out.
Larry

Good shooting! :thumb: If I can do that off the bench I am happy. Don't get old my wife says! Ha, I tell her, too late.
Better check the barrel key, for what little I can make out, looks like it is slightly backed out.
Larrry...........THE BBL wedge pin is loose i usually take it out when shooting.Free floated barrel.

Larry
yup the wedge pin is loose,,It gives the barrel a harmonic flex when fired and doesnt interupt the performance against the stock that way

The set trigger is pretty light ,,helps alot...id never be able to do that if it was any pulling at all...just need to barely touch it to fire..null b too and not alot

It hasn't really been too many years ago that I could shoot 100 yd. groups of 3.5" to 4" from a variety of positions. But those are the laurels we older guys are supposed to rest on. I'm resting now because I can't do that now.
Yeah iam loosing the groups consistantly ..and i just had hit it right the other day. Iam old enough not to stock pile anymore ammo too.

Back