Lee Drive Key slugs sized to .680, 70 gr of Schuetzen 2f
100 yard target at the "pit" , the 3rd backer at the back. Truth be told it's more like 90something yards but we're not being scientific.
Fired about 16 rounds. A few on the paper, several were hitting low ....so I adjusted my sight picture to where the base of the front blade was in the notch.
The front barrel band moves around, thus moving the front sight left and right. It's so sloppy it occasionally jumps the band spring and moves to the muzzle after a shot. No good for accuracy.
But for my final 7 shot string something lined up and I shot a group off the paper that I could cover with my hand.
These would have fell mostly in the Black but I think because I was grabbing the front band during loading, I inadvertently twisted it , throwing my front sight off but apparently I was consistent with this I also had a brain fart and forgot my rear sight had an elevation slider. Next time I'll set it to 200.
I'm going to put some pillow ticking under the band to keep it from moving.
The Lee Drive Key slug has a "bridge" that makes the slug spin , for accuracy in smoothbore shotguns so it seems like it basically makes a musket shoot like a Minie rifle with a slow twist. I need to shim my front sight and see how these do at 200. Lee seems to have designed the perfect "Nessler Ball" about 100 years too late.
I shot all these from a Standing position, because this is a Musket , not a bench rest rifle and I wanted to see how it would perform as it was supposed to be used.
I'd honestly be satisfied with that group out of a rifled weapon at 100 fired from a standing position but out of a smoothbore I was pretty surprised. I'm not a world class shooter by any means but I'm happy with any kind of usable consistency.
Schuetzen/Wano 2f is not the best, the breech started to get crusty and I had to wipe the bore every 5 shots. By shot 5 I had to whang the slug to the powder for the last few inches. In Previous shooting with Foster slugs at 50 yards, with Old Eynsford 2f , I didnt have this issue. I just happened to have a bottle of Schuetzen open and used it.
I made a setup for this musket using a repro 2-prong Confederate belt, a cap pouch with the cheap "wool" torn out and caps kept in a cheesecloth sack and a generic Indian made "carbine cartridge box" that holds exactly 22 .69 cartridges.
The musket is a Pedersoli 1816 percussion conversion, that I had a Harpers Ferry rear sight soldered onto the barrel. I had read that not all of the conversions were rifled but some of the independent contractors who converted Flintlocks for the US Govt slapped rear sights on them anyway so they could get paid. So this is a repro of the "unrifled and sighted" conversion