• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

# 10 Percussion caps for BP Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, How many of you actually use # 10 Percussion caps for BP Pistol? I cannot find any and I am new to the pistols side of things. Can I just crimp the # 11's so they do not fall off? Has anyone had any luck with this? Also, does anyone know where I can find some # 11"s? Thanks!

You sure can. I own around 20 different percussion revolvers. Only the smallest will accept a #10. I use 11’s and 1075’s for all of them. Too lose just give it a little squeeze.
Im not saying it’s optimum but if the cap fires so will the pistol.

@OldSmoky1967, is your pistol a single shot or a revolver. On a single shot pistol, most would use a #11 nipple.

Most revolvers come with nipples sized for a #10 cap. Pinching a #11 nipple may work and has often been recommended. Depending on the actual diameter of the tip of the nipple and the taper of the crown a #11 pinched to fit may work or may be loose. A loose cap is one of the known causes for multiple chambers firing or for cap fragments falling onto the action and freezing up the operation. Ultimately the best solution is to have the standard #11 nipple purchased as an aftermarket accessory.

Stick with what fits. As Grenadier said, you risk a chain fire with loose fitting caps and you probably won't like it.....

Cabelas just had them in stock as of 10/18/21 They had Remington #10 and CCl #11 witch i use these on all my BP Pistols CCl #11 are the same size as REM #10 . Never had a problem with either they hold tight with no jam up. It’s a bummer you did not know. Things are a little pricey right now at about 12.99 a tin of 100 caps so if you don’t mind the price.check back with them periodically.

fireman1 if #11 Remingtons fit the Dragoon #11 CCl will work also there just a hint bigger than the Remington #10’s.

#10 Remington. Cabelas and Bass Pro had them in stock a day or two ago.
You don't want to pinch the skirts if you can avoid it.

I have grown so accustomed to using a capper that the caps must fit so I can load them in the device. I use an inline capper for Remingtons and a snail capper for the colts.

fireman1 if #11 Remingtons fit the Dragoon #11 CCl will work also there just a hint bigger than the Remington #10’s.

I missed typed that....Remington 10's fit except for one nipple which is too large. :mad: Of course that is the nipple that I cannot get off. I actually broke one nipple wrench trying to remove it.

Wow that really sucks , A couple of months ago I purchased a new 58 and as I was cleaning all the shipping grease off it one nipple would not budge so I soaked the cylinder in scalding hot water for 5 min and it broke free. I feel your pain man…

#10 Remington. Cabelas and Bass Pro had them in stock a day or two ago.
You don't want to pinch the skirts if you can avoid it.
Antique Trading in Texas had some RWS1075's but when I called them they hung up on me half way through the call and I could never get them to return a call or email. Very strange. I went to Bass Pro and they are fully stocked. Hundreds of packs in store. # 10's I bought 1000 no problem.

Cabelas just had them in stock as of 10/18/21 They had Remington #10 and CCl #11 witch i use these on all my BP Pistols CCl #11 are the same size as REM #10 . Never had a problem with either they hold tight with no jam up. It’s a bummer you did not know. Things are a little pricey right now at about 12.99 a tin of 100 caps so if you don’t mind the price.check back with them periodically.
I found them at Bass Pro. Lots in stock. I bought plenty to last.

I am not all sure a #11 pinched to allow it to remain on a cone would lead to a chain fire. If that’s ones own experience on a particular revolver then by all means don’t do it. I’ve gone thru numerous thousands of
#11caps, Remingtons and CC’s on revolvers from the 1862 Police, the Navies, the Armies, a Walker, ROA’s Rogers and Spencers, an G and G and a Spiller Burr and a revolving carbine.
I did experience a chain fire just last week on the Remington Revolving Carbine. The #11 on one of the cones fell off, I hadn’t pinched it.
But that’s just me and my guns.

Back