• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#10 or #11 Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have thought about that and I appreciate your post about it. I think that might just be the direction I need to go.

Thanks!

I bought the die and priming compound as a backup before things got tight, but I was quite impressed by the resulting caps. If I run out of commercially made caps I won't feel like I am making sacrifices by using the homemade ones.

Keep in mind that the priming compound in the home made caps , while working just fine, is highly corrosive. You need to be extra careful with a very thorough cleaning. Commercial caps are non corrosive. Just need to be aware.

Are any of you finding any #10 or #11 caps available anymore? The only places I find them available are the ones where you have to spend $150-$200 before they will ship them to you. If anyone has places that will ship smaller amounts please respond.
Ive been getting mine on gunbroker every now and then you find a reasonable seller other than that most want to empty your pockets

Those cap makers are up to par, takes a little time but its enjoyable at least for me and keeps me shooting during this time of unavailability. Something to do during the winter.

Thank u sir i just started pouring my own ammo as well. caps are next i shoot 3-4 times a mnth with my local clubs its been a struggle wich i still dont understand why the shortage?

Keep in mind that the priming compound in the home made caps , while working just fine, is highly corrosive. You need to be extra careful with a very thorough cleaning. Commercial caps are non corrosive. Just need to be aware.

I figure BP and sub residue is already corrosive and will need a thorough cleaning, so what is the difference?

Don’t make any purchases from this company. It’sa scam!!! I ordered 1000 caps plus some other ammo, because they had a $200 minimum purchase. Which I didn’t mind. But I have paid for them and have you received anything from them and it’s been several weeks. So then I looked them up online and I found several people in the same situation as me. I believe it is a scam and I’m trying to figure out how to get my $200 back.

absolutely agree it is a scam sight. Shooting sports scam sights are all the rage with crooks now. Giveaways include:
cash only sales no cc.
minimum purchase amount 100-200 dollars.
they have plenty of what you want when all legit sights are sold out.

As I stated, the priming compound in home made caps is highly corrosive. Black powder is also highly corrosive because it contains sulfur. My preference for powder is Hodgon Tripple 7 , FFg. It contains no sulfur. So, non corrosive commercial caps ( if you can find them ) along with a BP no sulfur substitute powder is the easiest combo on a barre . l Just a thought.

Nipple primer 001.JPG
About 10 years ago I bought this gizmo. It is a nipple replacement that uses a small pistol/rifle center fire primer. Screw it in to where your nipple goes. Insert a small center fire primer . Screw the top back on, & shoot. For what it is worth. Not sure if they are still in production.

Those cap makers are up to par, takes a little time but its enjoyable at least for me and keeps me shooting during this time of unavailability. Something to do during the winter.
Been making the caps for a while. Wanted them for my 1851,1858 revolver. Made a bunch and put them on a gun (no primer) ran them around and dropped the hammer on all of them. Worked well and the caps indented fine. Filled a bunch with primer as per instructions - disappointed on the same test. No bang or even snap. Just a ffftt. Been sick a bit now but will try again with more primer and see what happens. My long guns are either flint or shotshell primer, but when I go out with a couple of revolvers caps go fast.

Try crater fireworks in IL. They will charge a haz mat and shipping fee so 100-200 will NOT be a good buy but they don't have a minimum? I have got powder from them twice. Grump ol guy but excellent service!

Back