• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

10 gauge side by

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
This gun has been hanging on a wall of a friends home for years. I pulled the barrels and found proof marks that look like a crown between crossed swords. The bores measure .790" at the muzzles and barrels are 29" long. Both lock plates are marked "NOCK".

It's seen better days and will just go back on the wall but if anybody can shed some light on it's origins it will be appreciated. GW

nylon66.jpg

nylon66005.jpg

nylon66004.jpg

nylon66008.jpg

nylon66006.jpg

Hamkiller said:
Can you post photos of the undersides of the barrels?

Yup, you will probably find either Birmingham or Liege proofs.

I have one of these marked MANTON with Birmingham proofs. They appear to be export guns made for the American market, and the names are mostly fake. Circa 1860.

"...proof marks that look like a crown between crossed swords..."
-----
If the "crossed swords" look a bit like crossed Halberds (a form of long handled battle axe), with the letter "B" on the left, the letter "C" on the right and the letter "P" between the lower arms it would be the proof mark of Birmingham Gunmakers' Proof House established in 1813.

If the letters are missing it may be the private proof-mark of the British Board of Ordnance from the middle of the eighteenth century. This would be struck twice on the barrel of private gunmakers who proved their guns at the government proof-house at the Tower of London or Birmingham.
Anyone could have their gun proofed and marked after paying a testing fee.

If the symbol is crossed Halberds with the letter "V" between the lower handles, it also was a Birmingham Gunmakers' Proof mark used in conjunction with the first mark I described.

My references do not show any proof marks with crossed swords. I wonder why?

Here's a couple pics of the proof marks. Upon closer inspection they probably aren't swords. I see an "arrowhead" at one end of them. There are 2 marks on each barrel. Also see "ws" on both barrels.(upside down in the pics)

proofmark005.jpg

proofmark004.jpg

They look like Birmingham "view" and "definitive"
proof marks required by the proof act of 1855 for class 4 arms firing small shot. My sources do not give any information on the WS. I guess it is a makers mark.

Back