• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

10 gage ball size??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you measured the bore?

I have a 10 gauge double gun( original) that I don’t recall the exact measurements of but .809 & .803 sticks in my head for some reason...

The one barrel is only a few 1000’ths under the other...

Here’s what I Googled ...

E116EB27-B3AC-46E8-A860-8793437FDE92.jpeg

I’d start w a .750 ball and .010-.015” patch. Maybe 50-60 gr FFG. That 635 gr ball is gonna create a bit of recoil.

looking to order some round ball and a mold for my 10 gauge what diameter should i get?
As @smo stated, "Have you measured the bore?"

Let your gun tell you what you need to know. With a coupon from Harbor Freight, you can get a quite acceptable digital caliper for $10. Everyone should have a caliper for measurements such as this.

With the large bore 10 gauge with a bore diameter of 0.775", a ball that is one heavy patch thickness less would be a good start. I would suggest a 0.750" ball and a patch of 0.022" or a paper wrapped cartridge with three layers of paper around the ball. Use of tow for wadding would be good in lieu of a cotton patch. Get some ball for trial before spending money for a mold that may not be suitable.

I have a Long Land Pattern King's Musket (Brown Bess) with a bore diameter of 0.770". Not really a 10 gauge but close. I regularly use a ball of 0.715" with a wrapped paper cartridge. I need to try the 0.735" mold that I have been waiting for a good time to cast some ball. The 0.715" ball works for me for most of my live fire uses.

You have a wide range of choices for selecting a ball diameter for loading your gun.

Don't overlook going the bare ball route as well, Like Grenadier 1758 says "let your gun tell you what you need to know"....

I own a 16 gauge with a 44" Colerain barrel,it mics at .653.

I tried several size balls with different thickness of patches, but none shot as well as the bare ball load .

I'm shooting a .648 ball out of my gun, it does get a little stiff to load after a few shots ,But not unbearable.

14-F25-D73-503-A-421-E-8-BC6-2-CC225846-CED.jpg

However I have discovered a .642 bare ball does very well too considering I'm not the greatest of shots,
Here's a target shot off hand at 25 yards using the .642 ball...

EAB974-B6-D8-F6-4-C3-A-8-DD8-59-F0-C5-CD7-C82.jpg

Back