• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#10 And #11 Caps At Cabela's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchase 500 #10 from Cabelas on line three weeks ago. Had them shipped to the store! Cheper than being sent to your home! Total with tax, fees etc was $66. They were going for $10 bucks a tin. The price was Ok, but the shipping is always high due to the Hazmat garbage! It took almost two weeks to get to me via Fed Ex!! I called and complained to Cabelas about the constant delay, and they gave me a $20 refund because of the delay. That made my cost for 500 caps $40! They showed up at the local Cabelas. I went to pick them up. Done.
Cabela's/Bass Pro have pulled them from their web sites.

I would even stock up on the dreaded CCI Musket caps because they still work well enough
I find the CCI caps worked OK with muskets with straight-in fire channels, like the M1842 or an Enfield. Guns with 90-degree turns in their fire channels did not work reliably with CCI caps.

Sheutzen caps are OK, but they are made of steel, not brass, and as a result they do not deform/go off as readily as real brass caps do. Sometimes it takes 2 hammer strikes for them to go off. RWS Dynamite Nobel are the best but they are impossible to get right now.

I find the CCI caps worked OK with muskets with straight-in fire channels, like the M1842 or an Enfield. Guns with 90-degree turns in their fire channels did not work reliably with CCI caps.

Sheutzen caps are OK, but they are made of steel, not brass, and as a result they do not deform/go off as readily as real brass caps do. Sometimes it takes 2 hammer strikes for them to go off. RWS Dynamite Nobel are the best but they are impossible to get right now.
[/QUOTE

This is part of what made me kinda convert to Enfield-type rifles , I found them more reliable with any kind of caps and even with sub powders.

Repro 61 Springfields have a tricky flash channel and can get cranky when they start getting dirty, even with Rio caps and real black . My P-H Enfields will shoot all day with CCI garbage caps. I got burned by an online seller on GB, I bought 1000 Schuetzen/ Rio caps and the idiot "subbed in" mostly CCI reenactor caps.....luckily I can still use them .

Don't be put off of the CCI caps , as long as you have the right rifle or musket and are using real BP. If I came across more at Cabelas I'd buy a few tins.

I've had so few issues with CCI caps in Enfields that I recall having one "pop Bang" split second hang fire out of 100s of rounds I've fired with them so far this summer. I still have probably 500 of them to use up, I wouldn't even try them in a Springfield

I browse gunbroker and have a search for caps. Yesterday I picked up a few tins of cci 11’s for less than 10 per hundred shipping included. Yes, th seller knew what he had and he said he just wanted someone to use them. I’ll be happy to sir!

Its a USMC thing, they've always been over supplied thats why Aussies "appropriate" anything Marines leave around.
Not surprisingly I’m still gathering, it’s a hard habit to break, most of OUR stuff in the old days was appropriated from other services. A fine, long-standing tradition!

This is also why having a couple .69 Flintlocks is handy when you just want to shoot to have some fun at the range......

No one really hoards 1F , so it's usually in stock, you can cast .65 round balls or just buy them from Track of the Wolf , they always have them. And there's always a source for Musket sized flints because people seem to hoard the standard 3/4" ones. Prime with 1F like you're supposed to , boom, you're in business.

Not surprisingly I’m still gathering, it’s a hard habit to break, most of OUR stuff in the old days was appropriated from other services. A fine, long-standing tradition!

We Aussies call it "scrounging", and to be honest your American gear was always highly valued, "Joe" Jungle Boots; 1911 Colt 45 ACP pistols; 30 round mags for M16's; Camillus K Bar knives (still have mine) Cam cream; and CRP's. It cost us a lot in Kangaroo Feathers; the occasional Aussie Slouch Hat and correspondence addresses of our "gorgeous" Sisters but hey "we're here to help" !

Back