• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 inch bore pivot gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadkin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have allways wanted a 1 inch bore pivot gun about 3 feet long. Can anyone tell me where I can get one? Have not done much research are looking to find one maybe someone can help? I have a place to mount it in my yard and would be nice to fire when raising Ole Glory in the morning.

By Pivot gun , do you mean a swivel?

Try Cannon Mike - he makes a nice swivel. Mine is only about 15" long, but it is turned out of solid steel - no castings, and included the yoke. I'm quite happy with it.

photo-2.jpg

My 1" swivel gun is more for guarding The Necessary Fort and an acquaintance's went on the bow of his 18th C. Jolly Boat.

We both felt they were nice enough though heavy cast tiller...

The 1" is a little shorter than you wanted and the 3' is a little bigger bore than you wanted, but, if they're still available you might be interested in...
http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/cannons.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My image of a swivel gun is similar to the one shown by LA, second row next to the big mortar.
By "Necessary Fort", are you referring to Fort Necessity?
As I recall (I have an old slide film pic somewhere) the one shown there is really a type of breech loader. I didn't like the breech design. Looked very dangerous to me.

Edit: BTW, why is it I seldom see reccomendations for South Bend Replicas? Good company, around a long time. http://www.southbendreplicas.com/page1a.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Jamestowne Settlement, they have breechloading swivels on the replica of the Susan Constant, as well as on the Godspeed, I believe. They are of the "thunder-mug" type, where a mug-shaped breech slides into the body of the cannon itself.

According to the staff there, apparently these were widely used in the seventeenth century, but fell out of favor in the eighteenth century, due to problems with the gas seal. They're a neat idea, in theory, but I don't know if I'd want to be close to one when it went off.

+1 for Cannon Mike! Bore is ~1-1/8" and comes with the yoke/swivel. Tried to post photos but PhotoBucket seems to be down for maintenance.

Thank you all I'm gonna give cannon mike a call I didn't realize that some of these guns were so inexpensive I've got rifles that cost more. And if it were not for this forum i still would be looking and wishing; I didn't know any of these makers existed and had never heard of them. Thanks again.

PhotoBucket is back up and running; here are a couple photos of a Cannon Mike Swivel Gun:

Fittedcase.jpg

Swivelgun1.jpg

Thanks looks like a winner can't wait to get one, do you shoot shot out of them, can you get round ball for them are do you just shoot blanks? And what would be a load for say a 1 inch or a 1 1/4 inch gun.

I have a 38" long 1.5" bore 1860 1/2 scale smooth bore that I load with 1 oz Fg, a bit of newspaper and then about 6 ozs of fine cornmeal. I have shot up to 3 oz BP, but it gets a bit too loud, even with ear muffs.

Great pics, Mazo! I love the box. Where did you get your cleaning jag? Did you make it? Do you have a picture of your linstock to go with it?

I have fired mine with shot, but I kept it light - I only had one range day. I tried 3 1/2 drams of FFg with 2 oz. of #7 shot, and it was too little. A fellow enthusiast has cast me some .900" balls, but I have not had a chance yet to try them.

For blank loads, I use 5 drams of FFg. In a tinfoil cartridge, that makes a nice bang for demonstrations.

The Necessary Fort was a play on Fort Necessity: they had swivel guns (not breach-loaders then, as far as I know, nor now and I was there and at Jomonville Glen a few years ago) and mine guards the outhouse.

Cannon Mike's is cool. Hern I have found not to be customer oriented...

colmoultrie said:
Great pics, Mazo! I love the box. Where did you get your cleaning jag? Did you make it? Do you have a picture of your linstock to go with it?

I have fired mine with shot, but I kept it light - I only had one range day. I tried 3 1/2 drams of FFg with 2 oz. of #7 shot, and it was too little. A fellow enthusiast has cast me some .900" balls, but I have not had a chance yet to try them.

For blank loads, I use 5 drams of FFg. In a tinfoil cartridge, that makes a nice bang for demonstrations.

To tell you the truth....I haven't shot mine yet. I bought it from a friend of mine just as you see it. He had the box made up and included a BIG aluminum mold and several 35 mm film canisters the fit nicely in the bore. I think he had someone make the rammer/jag, powder scoop and mop.

Chef said:
Thank you all I'm gonna give cannon mike a call I didn't realize that some of these guns were so inexpensive I've got rifles that cost more. And if it were not for this forum i still would be looking and wishing; I didn't know any of these makers existed and had never heard of them. Thanks again.

So.........? Inquiring minds want to know. Is there a cannon on the way? Did you talk yourself into a 12-pounder instead? :grin: :v

Alden said:
The Necessary Fort was a play on Fort Necessity: they had swivel guns (not breach-loaders then, as far as I know, nor now and I was there and at Jomonville Glen a few years ago) and mine guards the outhouse.

Cannon Mike's is cool. Hern I have found not to be customer oriented...

As I confessed, it was many years ago. My memory may be of a cannon I saw elsewhere. But, I'm sure it was from the same time period.
It loaded from the breech, a block of iron was shoved into the breech then a wedge was hammered into a 'U' shaped piece in back to hold it in. Maybe. :shocked2:

Back