• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1" hex to round smoothbore. How big?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcarpet

32 Cal
Reaction score
If I found a smoothbore barrel for my Hawken with a 1" channel, I am wondering how big of a bore I can go with, is a 20 gauge bore too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned 2 Renegade barrels that were bored to 62cal/20ga one was done by Mr. Robert Hoyt of Pennsylvania and the other by Mr. Ed Rayl of West Virginia.

and for a while there was a SSpanish company that made 12ga barrels for Renegades.

I have owned 2 Renegade barrels that were bored to 62cal/20ga one was done by Mr. Robert Hoyt of Pennsylvania and the other by Mr. Ed Rayl of West Virginia.

and for a while there was a SSpanish company that made 12ga barrels for Renegades.
Mr. Hoyt’s rebores are limited by the depth of tapped holes and dovetails, typically 60/62 caliber or 20 gauge with one inch TC barrels. Making new, bore size could be increased.

Got two 1" GM .62 barrels on TC guns. One also got rifling added by Mister Hoyt.
I know the bore on a 1" barrel could be made a little smidgen bigger but I'd get worried about failure.

Hex? Do you mean octagon?
Kind of thought the same thing, but if not, hex to round for a gun barrel would be challenging. I happen to have a lot of hex stock, but never tried it for a gun barrel of any type.
1603220752541.jpeg

Back