• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1" barrel, largest caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcarpet

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am thinking about a larger caliber bore on a new barrel. I would be using a 1" barrel as that is what my current TC Hawken with GM barrel is set up for.

My question is, what is the largest caliber suggested for use in a 1" barrel?

1670629924512.png

@redcarpet, is this a new barrel that you are planning to buy or one that you will have enlarged? You can always go to the Rice or Colerain sites to see what barrel configurations they have in a 1" barrel. Will the barrel be straight, tapered or swamped? Rifled or smooth bored? What are you planning to hunt?

1" rifled .62 is a power house w/ 90 gr. FFG. You won't be disappointed. Sadly , the rifle stock fora plains style rifle, is a bit narrow in the butt , to fend off the recoil. Mine had a wide longrifle butt plate , and was tolerably easier on the shoulder. With the 90 gr. charge, 1 in 66"twist , Colerain barrel , it was accurate , and flat shooting. From a good rest,killed a doe at 200+ yds. . Held the top of the front sight on top the spine, and ball hit just below the spine. one note , always use a ball starter. A .62 w/a standard crown can be too snug to start w/o a ball starter. .....oldwood

@redcarpet, is this a new barrel that you are planning to buy or one that you will have enlarged? You can always go to the Rice or Colerain sites to see what barrel configurations they have in a 1" barrel. Will the barrel be straight, tapered or swamped? Rifled or smooth bored? What are you planning to hunt?
New, straight, rifled.

Would be used on deer and hogs if hunted. Otherwise just something big so I can flex my muscles so to speak.

Rice and Colerain offer 1" straight barrels up to 0.620 caliber.

FCI offers barrels up to 58 caliber.

You would have to specify a larger across the flats measurement for larger calibers.

Back