• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1.5 F instead of 2 F in flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Given the scarcity of real BP these days, what are your thoughts on using 1.5 f Swiss rather than 2 f in a .50 caliber flinter?

From what I've read, 1f is generally reserved for canons and very large bore firearms, 2 f is more appropriate for most calibers of long guns, 3 f is generally priming powder for the pan. However, I'm fairly new to the game, and would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Thx,

KP

It will go bang. Expect lower velocity more fouling and a smooth recoil impulse. Accuracy may be better or worse.

3f is generally used in rifles. 2 f in larger bores and shotguns, 4f or null d as primer, but they will all go bang. I use 2f in pretty much everything, when using Swiss, as it is a bit hotter than most of the others. I’ve tried 1.5f in rifles and haven’t noticed any detrimental effects.

I'd say go for it. I've used Fg in my smoothbore and .54 rifle and it worked fine, even for priming. I had to use a bit more powder to achieve desired velocity. 1.5F should work just fine. Shooting with coarser powder is better than not shooting.

1.5 F should work fine. You might need to adjust your load higher and expect worse fouling. A guy on YouTube by the name of duelist1954 shot a Brown Bess with 1.5 F paper cartridges that worked just fine.

Given the scarcity of real BP these days, what are your thoughts on using 1.5 f Swiss rather than 2 f in a .50 caliber flinter?
If you have 1-1/2 F, why not try it? Won’t hurt anything and you might be pleasantly surprised, and if it disappoints, you will have your answer, one way or the other, at least with that particular gun.

Back