• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1:48 Twist and rifling depth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know my topic. The bore diameter is measured across the lands. The way the picture is drawn is incorrect. It shows the blue line cutting the land and the opposing grove at the half mark for each, that is were the error is. If you rotate the blue diameter line counter clock wise or clock wise to were the blue line touches the "corners" of the opposing lands on each side of the bore, that will be the true measurement of 0.5000 for the bore diameter in the example shown, from corner to corner. The lands are the constant for the bore diameter from land to land across the bore. The grooves' depth are the variable which doesn't change the bore size. If you cut the lands THAT would change the bore diameter. The deeper grooves allow for more bite into the patch/more patch filling the groove (the patch holds the ball) as it travels down the barrel. The shallower grooves can allow for the patch to slip over them which can cause some inaccuracy depending upon there depth and how much slippage occurs. Rate of twist can also influence how much slippage may occur with the shallower grooves. The faster the twist, with the shallower groove, the more potential of the patch slipping over them. So back to my question having said all of this. When I was saying having the rifling cut deeper I was referring to the grooves, the rate of twist will stay the same. I have had one yes from Ohio Ramrod that it did improve the accuracy.for him. DANNY
If you are referring to the 1st picture, the opposite arrow is pointing to a dashed line (circle), which does correctly show the bore diamter (land to land, not land to groove), and what you get when you use a 7 groove pattern as the example. That is why I put up a 6 groove example - easier to see.

I have a 1/48 45 cal barrel that B Hoyt worked on and he sent a note that the bore was .456. What diameter ball should I start out with?

Latest posts

Back