• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant that you are pressing the grooves in using the muzzle, so that it spins out using grooves you made in the lead. 1 in 20 must be a little stiff. You just use a regular ball starter or something to keep the bullet straight?

I push them down with my Thumb flush to the Muzzle, Then Rangerod from there on, it takes VERY LITTLE Pressure to Push my Bullets down to the Powder, As I size my Bullets about .00005 (Half a Thou) over Bore Diameter, so that they just “Hold” the Rifling on the way down. When the Charge “Sets off” The Bullet “Bumps Up” (Obturates) Filling the Bore (Land/Grooves)

The loading video above is before i owned my Adjustable Bullet sizers, That is a Little looser than i Load Today (But not much) I load a little stiffer than the Video above, I can stil easily push the Bullet down with just my Thumb & index finger on the Range Rod. With my adjustable Bullet Sizers i can “Dial” a Bullet in to a Bore, They size in TINY increments

I swear by these things. I chose Hankins due to them being Stainless Steel, I lube my Lead Bullets Good before Sizing. I own both the .45 & .50 Sizers
Eo4DTue.jpg

For the Rice plugs, does the tube (nipple) bottom out on a shoulder at the bottom of the threads?

Thanks

Fleener

There is an 1/8” or so Gap from the Bottom of the Nipple to the Bottom of the Nipple Hole, so the Powder can Settle under the Nipple. My loading routine involves a Home Made Drop Tube, After i dump my Charge in, With Muzzle pointed Up, I TAP on the Wrist/Butt of my Rifle, This Settles the powder Good under the Nipple.

I must ask, how many grains of Swiss to push that 530gr pill out that far with a still good smack. Also I have been away from my MLs for years due to life getting in the way, yet my sights in the 70s were mostly home made with existing stuff available. I would love to see pictures of both your front and rear site. I even went so far back then to make a sprite level for the front sight so the barrel was always canted the same for each shot. I'm 74 and still like to learn. Very impressed what you are doing.

This was a Fun Shoot, as are all of my Long Range Shoots. This Bullet was in the Air awhile 😀

The Breech plug is made by Rice as well, They are Machined from Solid Bar Stock. These Rice Bullet Barrels are “Match Grade” 4140 Chromoly Steel, they are Left Hand Twist. About a 2 Month Wait.
Wow!!! A good barrel steel. I thought such unavailable in USA, for muzzle loaders. Bullet barrel? Still loads from the muzzle. Thank you, Mr. Rice

I must ask, how many grains of Swiss to push that 530gr pill out that far with a still good smack. Also I have been away from my MLs for years due to life getting in the way, yet my sights in the 70s were mostly home made with existing stuff available. I would love to see pictures of both your front and rear site. I even went so far back then to make a sprite level for the front sight so the barrel was always canted the same for each shot. I'm 74 and still like to learn. Very impressed what you are doing.

I was using 95 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Blackpowder, Muzzle Velocity is 1,360 Fps

This is the Sight Setup on the Rifle, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang Peep with Hadley Eyecup, And Lee Shaver adjustable Windage Globe front sight with Level. I was using Lee Shaver inserts in the Globe
V37ycpt.jpg

Y4Ks2wT.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back