• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.010 vs. .015 patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankerchief

32 Cal
Reaction score
I purchase a used T/C .50 Hawken a few months ago. A friend lent me some balls, patches, powder, and caps to test with. I fired it a few times using .490 balls with .010 patches. I finally procured everything I need to shoot on my own. However, I just realized the patches I bought are .015 not .010. I had no problem loading the balls with .010 patches. But just curious, before I get a ball stuck in my barrel will I have any problem using .015 patches?

Thanks.

-Mike

Not at all. I use .490 RB with .020 patches in my Renegade. I like a tight patch. But your gun will determine which thickness it likes best. Try .010, .015, .018, and .020 until you get the consistency you like.

If your using a tight ball & patch combination and shooting a lot to find the best powder load just be prepared to run a cleaning swab down every 2 or 3 shots. Which is a good idea to do anytime your working up a new load.

Last edited:
It won't get stuck, as long as you remember to put the powder in first...

When you start a lead ball, it will be tight the first 2-3 inches, then the ball will conform to the bore and it will be easier to push down the barrel...I'd use the .015 if possible because there is less of a chance that they will burn through when fired...

I use .018" with .490" balls for my hunting load. It's tight but accurate and for hunting it's only one or two shots so fouling isn't an issue. My main target load is with a .015" , still accurate but loads easier after multiple shots. If I'm feeling lazy I use a .010" patch less accurate, but not by much, and I can load all day without swabbing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/information.

I went out and tried out my Hawken in a little more detail. I used Traditions pre-lubed patches with a .490 TC lead ball. The balls weren't that hard to load; and from a rest shot about a 1.5-2 inch group with 10 shots at 50 yards. Several of the shots were touching or over lapping. Already considering trying .018 patches to see if I can get the groups tighter. Damn! Just what I need. Another addicting hobby ;).

Now, let's forget preluded, because over time, they can break down and fail...Go buy you some pillow ticking from Walmart, it measures about .018 and then start trying one of the 767,894 different lubes you can try... :)

When shooting patched round balls, the patch you use is one of the most important parts of the equation, hunting accuracy can be found fairly easily, but when you start shooting an inch to an inch and a half groups at 50 yards then you are on to something...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/information.

I went out and tried out my Hawken in a little more detail. I used Traditions pre-lubed patches with a .490 TC lead ball. The balls weren't that hard to load; and from a rest shot about a 1.5-2 inch group with 10 shots at 50 yards. Several of the shots were touching or over lapping. Already considering trying .018 patches to see if I can get the groups tighter. Damn! Just what I need. Another addicting hobby ;).
NCHawkeye is correct, the prelubed patches are absolute garbage. I went round and round with those and my rifle perked up as soon as I threw them in the trash. Even though they weren’t dregraded enough to fall apart on loading, they weren’t holding up during the balls path back out the barrel when fired. If you can, recover a few of your fired patches and they will probably tell you all you need to know. My rifle likes the unlubed CVA pillow ticking patches. They sell them in various thicknesses but my rifles like the .018” patch, which I’ve read actually mic at .022”. I don’t have the proper micrometer for pressure mic, so I’ll just have to take their word for it.
I have also learned that too much lube can blow accuracy. I use Track of the Wolf’s Mink oil. It works great during summer and winter. I lube only one side of the patch and the unlubed side goes against the ball. If I lube both sides of the patch, my groups open up a lot and there is no consistency to the groups. Basically a bunch of flyers in a 2-3” group. Keep working at it and you will find what makes your rifle tick. I’d start with .490 swaged ball, .018-.022” pillow ticking, mink oil lubed on only one side (just enough to spread it out to the edges), and 80gr of FFFg. I do spit patch and dry patch between shots. This load produces clover leafs at 50yds in my Renegade and does really well in my Hawken. The Hawken needs a tighter patch still, but it is within 1”-1.25”.
This group was with my Renegade 50 at 50yds. 4 shots into one ragged hole. The “flyer” was a fouling shot from a clean barrel. My rifle shoots best when fouled. I learned the hard way that cleaning with a BP solvent was a bad idea (the wide shot in this group) and that a spit patch is the way to go.
Your rifle will shoot a tight group once you find the combo that it likes.

Attachments

• 67CEEEAC-FF2E-43D8-8062-F08869504942.jpeg
    67CEEEAC-FF2E-43D8-8062-F08869504942.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Now, let's forget preluded, because over time, they can break down and fail...Go buy you some pillow ticking from Walmart, it measures about .018 and then start trying one of the 767,894 different lubes you can try... :)

When shooting patched round balls, the patch you use is one of the most important parts of the equation, hunting accuracy can be found fairly easily, but when you start shooting an inch to an inch and a half groups at 50 yards then you are on to something...
Went back and measure more like 2-3 inches 😇

Back