• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

“Texas” Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
Being a Native Texan, I love anything Texas. I bought a Colt Walker for its connection to the Texas Rangers and the fact that production started for Walkers on the day that the Alamo fell. I recently discovered a Zouave flask that commemorates the Alamo and a painting of the martyrs that hangs at the Capitol in Austin. My question is, this no doubt being a reproduction, is it an authentic period reproduction? I want this for my display case. However I don’t want to put it in if it is not period correct. The Walker flask was manure, but correct for the time. Is the Texas flask worth buying? I can’t find any history on its manufacture. Still would mind to have one as a souvenir if made in this century only, in which case, I’ll just look for the Walker flask for my display instead.

49F99C0E-56D9-4299-85E5-862BCF3E9E00.png

Know little about flask. They made some neat stuff during Arkansas sesquicentennial I understand Texas was the same year😊. So it would not surprise me if this was made for that.
Fancy stuff was made with with all sorts of designs on flask. And for what ever reason Texas motifs became real popular in the UK between 1880 and 1910, and maybe this was done in that time frame.
The Painting of Huston taking Santa Anna’s surrender I’m thinking was done in the 1850s(?). A flask like this may have been made in pre WBTS period, celebrating Texas patriotism (?)

I’m not sure what WBTS means. But if these were in production during the 1800s then I would be ok with that. I’ve seen some that look quite old, but if they were made in 1974 or something then it would be like putting chrome on a model T. Which I don’t want to do. However I do prefer the look to the original flask issued with the walker.

Has a collector of mostly UK flasks try Riling's powder flask book which may be of some help
Feltwad

Do not think flask was copied from any similar style original. The pictured flask is a modern replica / reproduction. I have pictures of one new in a modern orange cardboard box stating it came with three spouts but can not access pictures now.

IIRC these may have been sold as a commemorative at the Alamo in modern times as well as elsewhere.

These flasks come up on ebay now and then often listed as antique. Probably made in Italy and will have foreign threads on spout and screws. Had a couple of these over the years.

Last edited:
Those Texas flasks were also issued with the Uberti "Texas Dragoon" revolvers that were marketed by Western Arms in the late seventies. The revolvers came as cased sets with the flask and accessories, or as the revolver alone. I think Pedersoli makes the flasks now. I don't know if they are copies of originals from the 19th century or not. Riling's Powder Flask Book is the ultimate reference for that sort of thing, but I don't own a copy.

Personally, I think it's a pretty cool flask. I've been thinking of getting one. I've been looking for one of the Texas Dragoon revolvers, too, but they don't come available often, and they tend to sell quickly.

Notchy Bob

Riling's "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK" does not show it.
I'm sure it is a modern flask made to sell to Texans,

Here's a link that shows that flask in its brand new polished look for $60. IMO, someone went to a lot of work to age the one in the picture in the original post.

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?cid=80&pid=364&offset=1

Yep I saw that one. I was just trying to discover the first year of manufacture. But I think your right. It’s only commemorative and not historical.

I like it even though it is likely a newer item. I have never seen one like it and I, too, would get it simply because of the images. (I am related to a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.)

Pictures of Texas flask I mentioned yesterday . . . box has " Made in Italy " on it so screw and spout threads are metric size. They are nice flasks.

If anybody wants to buy one try Zonie's link above. Might be out of stock due to Covid-19.

View attachment 74577View attachment 74582
Thank you for the pictures and comments!

I'm interested in that cylindrical flask, also. If you don't mind, I would be interested in knowing who made it and where you got it. I like the Federal Eagle motif.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob - The pictures above are not my own flasks although I do have three of the cylindrical flasks.

I believe the cylindrical flasks were made by a fellow named Dangelzer. Think they came with four or more different embossed designs or attached emblems. My three are all different. Will try to post some pictures after I can get to my secure storage.

My memory is Dixie Gun Works sold these Dangelzer flasks in the 1960's, 1970's, etc. Do not know if other retailers sold these. Mine were bought used at gun shows.

A gun show acquaintance was offered the chance to take over production many years ago. He declined and the maker eventually went out of business.

The wire springs for the spout valve are very good quality and rarely break.

Back