• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

“Grizzly gun”

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend was fishing the Kenai, and a griz came up behind him and help with his kreel.
Lear shot the bear with his M1 Carbine. Emptied the mag, and ran up a tree.
The bear died some minutes later.
That was in the late 60s, now the Alaskan 45/70 is standard equipment there.

A 32 cal may wee wee off a yote, not anything bigger

My friend was fishing the Kenai, and a griz came up behind him and help with his kreel.
Lear shot the bear with his M1 Carbine. Emptied the mag, and ran up a tree.
The bear died some minutes later.
That was in the late 60s, now the Alaskan 45/70 is standard equipment there.

A 32 cal may wee wee off a yote, not anything bigger
Actually when bank fishing the Kenai now days most folks either wear a heavy cal belt gun or carry bear spray ! The carbines and short shot guns are to heavy and cumbersome to carry on your person while fishing and are often left on the bank where they are useless when the ball drops.
Technically speaking Brown bears and Grizzly bears are the same species . The Brown grows much heavier because of the high protein diet of fish they have available in their diet for more of the year.
Even coastal black bear will on occasion grow to seven feet plus and weigh 7-8 hundred pounds which would be a fairly large interior Grizzly .
I've personally killed two black bears that have gone six feet and weighed in the neighborhood of 400 lbs or a bit more.

Last edited:
hmmm so you have bear issues there , do you also have issues with other hurry creatures larger than those bears, but with longer claws and and canine teeth, or squatch, do ya got buggers ,bugbears , or walking wolves? just asking i had to deal with those more where i used to live than bears, and if there ever was a bear(there was one) i just threw the bread peanut butter and jelly over the bears way and let it make all the pb&j it wanted. bear just dont cause trouble here in texas like those buggers and walking wolves.
Did you enjoy the ‘60s?

i am only turning 46 this november. but i still call them that. well not while i am in the woods in the presence of a matron. but if i had lived in the 60's i would have loved it.
first contact was when i was 10, pretty sure that matron had been watching me for years. its been since 2004 that i was there , and that is when the other ones walking wolves became too aggressive, and i learned how to create 7000degree plasma to deal with them. any more questions? (both walking and giggling about that)
Nope. No more questions sir.
Walk

I live in grizzly county all year,its a 15 min ride in the side X side from the house. A bear attacks last 3.5 seconds, that means you have 1.5 seconds to make a killing shot. We can't reproduce the noise and adrenaline, that surging thru you at that moment, but try it, back to a target, clear leather or cock and aim your pieces.Then "Make a killing shot", have someone time you. Best advice is if your seeing bear sign get the heck out of there, if you have a dog with you he or she will bring that bear right back to you. Be BEAR Aware, and you can tell Grizz from black bear droppings, Grizzly smells like peppers, and has bear bells in it! Wang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am no expert on Bears , but I think a large caliber quick handling 54/58 flintlock or later on a caplock , with a 30/32 inch barrel would be what was needed in the hands of an experienced hunter back in the day .From what I have read the old timers tended to avoid Grizzlies if they could and most Bears were shot at close range and many were charging at the time . A long barreled heavy rifle would be too hard to handle for what would be an up close and very personal snap shot .

bear just don't cause trouble here in Texas like those buggers and walking wolves.

that is when the other ones walking wolves became too aggressive, and i learned how to create 7000degree plasma to deal with them. any more questions?

Yes. What in the world are you talking about? I've heard and seen big cats, but nothing like what you mention. I used to drive up 69 to Tyler, and there's lots of piney woods, but I never saw anything. I also didn't sleep in the woods. And now, I surely won't!

I want to apologize to everyone on this board. At some point I’ve read something that had been posted and thought to myself that it was the most bat manure crazy thing I’d ever read. After reading this entire thread it’s obvious I was wrong. You have my apologies.😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back